Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Moopurple

What grad school will I go to?

Okay folks,

I am narrowing down my grad school choices and am curious to see if anyone can pick up on what they see me doing!

There are 3 areas of study which I am trying to choose between, all related...so I guess whether you can pick up on that is more of a game part.

However, I am having trouble narrowing down which schools I want to apply to.

So, what major and what school (you can use location, school colors, name...whatever) am I going to for grad school?!

:)

No one else has input? :P

Hmmm I don't know of any schools yet which are green and yellow...but I have seen a lot of blue and yellow. I will see if those names pop up!

Okay folks,

I am narrowing down my grad school choices and am curious to see if anyone can pick up on what they see me doing!

There are 3 areas of study which I am trying to choose between, all related...so I guess whether you can pick up on that is more of a game part.

However, I am having trouble narrowing down which schools I want to apply to.

So, what major and what school (you can use location, school colors, name...whatever) am I going to for grad school?!

:)

Will you enter a master's program or go directly to a PhD program?

Aren't you taking prerequisite courses now? If so, I think you talk to someone and that leads to a conversation with a professor that leads a program at another university. I see a Jewish name that ends in -stein.

I think that your major is cellular or molecular biology with a focus on genetics.

Your grandmother says "where the corn grows" and makes me think midwest.

I'm trying for PhD directly. Masters doesn't seem to get me anywhere in any of the fields I'm interested in, but if a program appeals to me I'd apply.

I am taking prerequisite courses right now, which includes cellular biology, but isn't aimed directly at that field. I think my undergrad degree disqualifies me from a lot of biology programs unless I wanted to get a second bachelor's degree. Eep. :blink:

I'm trying for PhD directly. Masters doesn't seem to get me anywhere in any of the fields I'm interested in, but if a program appeals to me I'd apply.

I am taking prerequisite courses right now, which includes cellular biology, but isn't aimed directly at that field. I think my undergrad degree disqualifies me from a lot of biology programs unless I wanted to get a second bachelor's degree. Eep. :blink:

I still feel that you will be able to "skip" some steps. You'll be able to negotiate a program where you don't meet all of the defined prerequisites and will be able to make them up as you work through the PhD program.

Have conversations. Ask for exceptions.

Yes, I plan on it (contacting potential advisers) after I've completed a little bit more just so I am not trying to get in without most of the prerequisites. B)

I thought anthropology was a lot of fun when I took it in college.

What about location?

I love the subject of anthropology, but it's a limited field. I've applied to loads of jobs with no luck...as it's a very popular degree with very little job opportunity. And I want to do more science oriented, not social work.

My university was in California.

As for Missouri, we shall see if I am heading in the midwest direction. PG seems to think so as well. :P

So, I still pick up strongly this evolutionary biology study with a focus later on cellular/molecular biology particularly related to DNA and genetics.

Am I just picking up something that you previously considered?

My undergrad focus was in evolutionary anthropology. Right now I am looking at programs in genetics and pharmacy with programs that focus on pharmacogenomics.

Hey, if you ever make it to St. Louis, we'll have to hook up! :P Though I live in Virginia at the moment, my home town is a half hour away from the city. St. Louis is a wonderful place. :) Especially if you like sports and/or the zoo, art museum, science, or parks. lol Lots of FREE admission in STL.

I originally got an "H" sound for the name of the college too. :) But I'm not great at predicting futures. That was just my first instinct.

My undergrad focus was in evolutionary anthropology. Right now I am looking at programs in genetics and pharmacy with programs that focus on pharmacogenomics.

This sounds very good!

Are you looking at a program at UCLA?

I was looking at UCLA before. Now I am not so sure. The program has good funding, though not enough to live in LA... The whole living in the heart of LA thing isn't quite appealing either. :P Granted, it is where most of my friends are and I know the areas well as it's so close to home, but then I imagine grocery shopping and am like....ahhh nooooo

Alright alright. I've narrowed it down. Now I need to figure out which tests I need to take for applications and whether I want to do pharmacy or pharmacology. As either gets you in with clinical research for genetic medicine. (A genetics degree is useless in this country....sooooo odd).

Anyway, I'll be applying to:

Dream school: University of Washington. Amazing funding for research, really highly rated in genetic related stuffs.

Close Second: UCLA or UCR (good stipends, UCR has a higher acceptance rate for grad).

Other: University of Iowa (good research school, more flexible...PG convinced me. :P)

I should apply to one more...As it's always good to get a school you're almost guaranteed entry to. Not sure, not sure. But I need to contact professors for letters of recommendation when I decide 100% on the programs I'm applying to. I'm excited. Taking more biology courses and chemistry definitely convinces me that this is a step in the right direction. I feel really good about this and finally have 100% confidence that this is what I need to do with my life. :dance:

The only thing I'm worried about is that a large part of my biology and chemistry courses are under division. I've taken upper division genetics and evolutionary courses. I'm hoping that my statement of purpose or whatever it's called and contacting advisers convinces them that I have the mind and the dedication for this topic. I'm a little bit nervous about how to start and what to say and who to contact. But I am dedicating a few hours each week for the next month purely to researching advisers to contact and hoping one of them is like "HEY, you show promise!"

Alright alright. I've narrowed it down. Now I need to figure out which tests I need to take for applications and whether I want to do pharmacy or pharmacology. As either gets you in with clinical research for genetic medicine. (A genetics degree is useless in this country....sooooo odd).

Anyway, I'll be applying to:

Dream school: University of Washington. Amazing funding for research, really highly rated in genetic related stuffs.

Close Second: UCLA or UCR (good stipends, UCR has a higher acceptance rate for grad).

Other: University of Iowa (good research school, more flexible...PG convinced me. :P)

I should apply to one more...As it's always good to get a school you're almost guaranteed entry to. Not sure, not sure. But I need to contact professors for letters of recommendation when I decide 100% on the programs I'm applying to. I'm excited. Taking more biology courses and chemistry definitely convinces me that this is a step in the right direction. I feel really good about this and finally have 100% confidence that this is what I need to do with my life. :dance:

The only thing I'm worried about is that a large part of my biology and chemistry courses are under division. I've taken upper division genetics and evolutionary courses. I'm hoping that my statement of purpose or whatever it's called and contacting advisers convinces them that I have the mind and the dedication for this topic. I'm a little bit nervous about how to start and what to say and who to contact. But I am dedicating a few hours each week for the next month purely to researching advisers to contact and hoping one of them is like "HEY, you show promise!"

This will work out well for you. One of the schools will allow you in without all of the prerequisites. You will likely have a conversation with a key professor and it will all just "click".

This will work out well for you. One of the schools will allow you in without all of the prerequisites. You will likely have a conversation with a key professor and it will all just "click".

I still think that your ultimate work is along the lines of my original post of sub cellular nanopharmacology where you work with the mechanisms to facilitate the permeation of the cellular membrane to repair cellular material to include DNA.

I think much of you life's work will be working on the next leap of genetic engineering. You may find that you work on repairing damaged DNA and that leads to engineering DNA in the prevention of disease.

The sub cellular delivery of drugs and chemical that you learn will lead ultimately to the development and delivery of revolutionary nano "structures" and nano "machines", which have not been discovered yet, which can cross the cellular wall barrier and you will be part of that development. This will have a tremendous impact on disease prevention, disease regression and longevity.

Or, at least, that's what I am hearing... :lol:

if you go to UCR, then we could be best friends..

I had a feeling you were in SoCal! :P

PG, I would love to do that.

Reading about sub cellular delivery of drugs is actually what made me so fascinated by the subject. And all of that is spot on with what I fantasize about doing with my career. ;)

I had a feeling you were in SoCal! :P

PG, I would love to do that.

Reading about sub cellular delivery of drugs is actually what made me so fascinated by the subject. And all of that is spot on with what I fantasize about doing with my career. ;)

yea, I'm 10 min away from UCR.. but I guess me & Pg both felt a location in the midwest

I think there are stages that you go through.

Of course, about six years of study but you may end up on a key research team in about 7 years after having done some particular research in your doctoral program.

Like I said, drug delivery at the sub cellular level will be a key, first theme and then there is some work on sub cellular organelles. I feel like you do some work around mitochondrial respiration (really, I don't make this stuff up!) and something about your expertise on this earns you a place on a research team which from our present perspective, would seem like another biological field of study but your training will be instrumental. One word that is prominent is "longevity". I wonder if your research will be part of helping increase our longevity through engineering cells to live and reproduce longer.

Anyway, your grandmother from Cyprus says that you have broken through a key barrier now and the rest will fall into place on which school you go through and what prerequisites need to be met. There is work to be done but it will be laid out nicely for you, so, don't fret over any sticking points.