Universal Psychic Guild Forum
ElyriaCrowley

How to be a medium

Hello all. :)

I feel I'm being called to be a medium. I've been receiving a lot of signs lately, and it's become so much, I feel I should no longer ignore it.

Except, I don't know where to start. I feel seeing spirits is a talent I've always had. I just blocked it out because of fear. Now it's slowly coming back I think. I tried to find a book today, but my local bookstore is severely inadequate when it comes to the metaphysical. And there are so many websites, it's hard to know which is reliable and which is not.

So does anyone have a suggestion? Also, is someone being a medium a talent a psychic can pick on? I've always seen shows where psychics can immediately tell someone possesses the gift. But I've never been told that before. So does that mean I don't have the ability? Or do I just have to learn how to use it better?

Thanks all!

Blessings,

Beth

I think everyone has the ability.

I had dead people just start showing up when I read. So, I just started asking them for information.

What I find now is that when the other side really wants a message passed on, someone who has passed shows up and gives very specific information.

So, I would recommend to just do a lot of practice readings and ask for someone on the other side to come in and provide information for everyone's benefit.

Once you get use to recognizing that its the energy of someone on the otherside that is coming in, then, you are on your way!

Sometimes, though, for me, that energy can get mix in with the living people that they are talking about so that takes some sorting for me.

Like for you, right now, there is an older gentleman on the other side. He feels grandfatherly but I would say that he is not your actual grandfather. So he could be an uncle or great uncle or old friend in the family that knew you when you were very young. In fact, he may have helped to care for you or at least visited often.

Maybe he is Charlie. Charlie from St. Louis. I see him in coveralls. So, maybe a farmer or worked with machinery or cars.

I heard Alcovy or McElvee.

He has a black/brown and white dog with him. I would say its in the collie family of dogs.

He shows me a rose which is a symbol of love for you on your wedding day.

He points to the west to the setting sun. Not sure what that means and mentions Chicago. I think he may be indicating some travels.

He is showing me some things from his pocket. A pocket knife and a locket with a picture. Do you have a locket with a picture in it of a relative? If so, he was known by this person and perhaps related.

And he shows me appliances like a refrigerator. Do you have a problem with an appliance or are you buying one?

And something about dishes and china. Maybe you were given some old china or dishes or unpacked something like that and it was from a relative and has meaning for you.

He is holding up a wrench so maybe he was more of a mechanic than a farmer.

Except, I don't know where to start. I feel seeing spirits is a talent I've always had. I just blocked it out because of fear. Now it's slowly coming back I think. I tried to find a book today, but my local bookstore is severely inadequate when it comes to the metaphysical. And there are so many websites, it's hard to know which is reliable and which is not.

Whenever you are looking for something, whether tangible or intangible (like an answer to a question), in the outer world, the first step is to put the intent out to the Universe. That's what you've done. You just need to wait for the signs now or assistance from the people around you, like us, and the answers will start to come.

I went through something similar and that's what got me started on my path. I had put it out to the universe what I was looking for, one day at the library I was browsing through the spirituality section and came across one book. I read a few pages and was hooked. Later I came across another, and then another book. Sometimes I found them at the library, sometimes the bookstore. Once I had just finished volume 1of 3. Went back to the library and volume 2 was currently checked out. A few days later I was at a shopping center with some relatives. As we walked around, there was a used book/media store across from our destination store. I decided to go browse it. When I got inside, I thought to myself, 'I wonder if they have my book (vol 2).' I went straight to the proper aisle and there was my book! It was in like new condition, too.

I would suggest looking at your local library for more books. you can also just browse books on amazon. My search has also taken me there. You can also browse the Internet for blogs or websites. It helps if you know what the topic is that you need info on so you're not searching too widely. Once you come across something on the web, it, too, will start leading you to a book to read or another topic to research.

Thanks everyone for the tips. :)

PG, thank you so much. :wub: I wonder, though... Is it possible you could have been picking up on two different entities? The only older gentlemen I know that have passed are my great-grandfather on my dad's side, and my grandfather on my moms side. My mom is actually adoptive, so my grandpa isn't actually blood. So I wonder if that's why you got he wasn't actually my grandfather?

But I was much closer to my great grandpa before he passed. I was very young when he died, but I have very fond memories of him and miss him terribly. I looked him up after reading this, and it turns out, his birthday would have been three days ago. He lived in St. Louis and was a farmer. His name was Archie (which is close to Charlie) but also, my dad's nickname is Charlie.

My other grandpa that passed lived in Chicago, and he was very handy so the wrench could probably apply to him.

As for the rest, I can't really relate to it at the moment. There's no locket or knife or refrigerator or china. But maybe in the future? :)

I'm always so bad working with my intuition. Terrible, really. The only time I'm ever able to tap into my intuition is with my tarot cards. And there was one time I tried psychometry and I picked up one word, which someone else picked up on too, but it hasn't happened again since. I've taken quizzes. I've made my own quizzes. I've tried several different techniques, and I can just never get a good read on myself. So I thought that maybe being a medium wouldn't be right for me.. But after all the signs I got, I thought I couldn't ignore it anymore.

I do have a book, called So You Want To Be A Medium? But I haven't read it in a long time. I'm going to reread it here soon, I just didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions. :) I think it's just going to take some practice.

Thanks all! :)

Thanks everyone for the tips. :)

PG, thank you so much. :wub: I wonder, though... Is it possible you could have been picking up on two different entities? The only older gentlemen I know that have passed are my great-grandfather on my dad's side, and my grandfather on my moms side. My mom is actually adoptive, so my grandpa isn't actually blood. So I wonder if that's why you got he wasn't actually my grandfather?

But I was much closer to my great grandpa before he passed. I was very young when he died, but I have very fond memories of him and miss him terribly. I looked him up after reading this, and it turns out, his birthday would have been three days ago. He lived in St. Louis and was a farmer. His name was Archie (which is close to Charlie) but also, my dad's nickname is Charlie.

My other grandpa that passed lived in Chicago, and he was very handy so the wrench could probably apply to him.

As for the rest, I can't really relate to it at the moment. There's no locket or knife or refrigerator or china. But maybe in the future? :)

Oh, certainly could have been info coming in for both. If you saw the reading I did recently for Lady, I had three women come in that had similar names and they brought in a forth, and spoke in a uniform voice and gave some specific info on each person. I couldnt separate all of the entities at first.

I'm always so bad working with my intuition. Terrible, really. The only time I'm ever able to tap into my intuition is with my tarot cards. And there was one time I tried psychometry and I picked up one word, which someone else picked up on too, but it hasn't happened again since. I've taken quizzes. I've made my own quizzes. I've tried several different techniques, and I can just never get a good read on myself. So I thought that maybe being a medium wouldn't be right for me.. But after all the signs I got, I thought I couldn't ignore it anymore.

I do have a book, called So You Want To Be A Medium? But I haven't read it in a long time. I'm going to reread it here soon, I just didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions. :) I think it's just going to take some practice.

Thanks all! :)

Oh, certainly could have been info coming in for both. If you saw the reading I did recently for Lady, I had three women come in that had similar names and they brought in a forth, and spoke in a uniform voice and gave some specific info on each person. I couldnt separate all of the entities at first.

So, here, I got blended energies of both great grand father and grand father and they gave differing clues which come in very fast and on top of each other.

I clearly got that it was grandfatherly but not technically the grandfather which would apply in both cases. And we picked up the name charlie which has several applications in your family and where they live and sort of occupations/activities that were blended for both.

I find that often in the mediumship process there is some sorting out to do.

The purpose of them coming through is likely many fold:

They are lending support generally for you life and particularly for your pending marriage.

They are giving you a friendly place to begin to connect on your mediumship journey and I think that they are coming through too as sort of a proof because their collective place in your life is unusual and unique.

Most folks don't relate with their great grandfathers and its unique to have a grandfather of an adopted parent. Those unique relationships often come through as a way of "prooving" the connection to the otherside.

So when I first "saw" Archie/Charlie, I just observe and note what they show or say or bring to 'knowing". I try not to filter or analyze too much and let flow.

I think its neat that they are showing up for you. There may be a message in the facing west and the setting sun, so, you may find that has meaning.

Do you have a plate that is displayed that has meaning. Like is it sitting on the mantle or desk in a stand. There were a few other symbols there that I dont get like the pocket knife and pendant and he also showed me a red handkerchief.

So, if I can connect with someone close to you, then, you certainly can and, in turn, you can connect with anyone on the otherside.

In my case, I think that I only connect with the otherside when there is a message to be delivered. I didnt feel that way always. Sometimes, I thought that random spirits showed up but now, I think there is usually a good reason when they do.

Thanks to Archie and Charlie. Its a good message that they have sent you and they have opened a door to you expanding your abilities. Very cool.

Yeah, my great grandparents lived to a very old age. My great grandmother died at 99. My great grandfather died at 86 because of a heart attack on April Fool's Day, which was quite traumatic, since I was young and thought my father was playing a trick. But I have many memories of Archie. We used to spend every weekend at his house, and he'd play checkers with me for hours. My dad wouldn't let me attend the funeral though because I was so young, and I'll never forget not being able to be there. I found a photo of him recently and I was able to keep it and bring it with my to Virginia. Him sitting on a tractor. :wub: It is a very good representation of him.

I was also very close to my grandfather, despite not living close to him. I'm so much like him, even though we aren't blood. Very artistic, very similar interests. I took an entire week off to go to Chicago to attend his funeral when he passed. The years anniversary of his death just passed recently too. I miss them both every day.

Something in the west, I'm not sure at the moment. Bernie and I have been discussing moving more to the west someday, but at the point, it doesn't have much significance. I don't have a plate or anything either, unfortunately.. :( Maybe my mom or dad does? I don't know. I don't have many keepsakes from my family. Pocket knife, pendant, red handkerchief, I just don't know.. None of it has any meaning off the top of my head. Maybe there's something I'm forgetting? I know great grandpa Archie gave my dad a pocket watch that I fell in love with and carried around with me for a while after his death, but I haven't seen it since. That's the only thing I can relate it to.

So when you communicate with spirits... Can you actually hear them in your head? Like are there different distinct voices? Or is it just more of a "knowing" feeling? I've never tried to communicate before, so I don't really know what to expect...

Oh...now I'm getting it.

He showed me a pocket watch and then showed me a picture in a frame but it came across to me as a locket or pendant with a picture in it.

So, you'll figure out the "facing west and the setting sun". I think that you will find yourself being called to the west (whatever that may mean) and will be very happy as represented by the beautiful view of the setting sun.

So for me, I usually first get an image of the person and it will normally be descriptive or unique, like in this case an older man in coveralls. However, I will start to "know" things. Like I knew that this energy was grandfatherly but not the grandfather.

I may hear and see words or pictures. I knew the image represented a farmer but then I felt a mechanical aspect and then I saw names and hear St. Louis but saw Chicago on a map.

Then I was back to the image of the man and he reached in his pocket and pulled out a watch that turned to a picture. With it was the pen knife but we seemed to change to a work shed and i got the image of appliances. Combined with the pocket knife and then a wrench I was back to the appliances and the feeling of doing something mechanical.

I don't know about the dishes or china. I saw a stack then one was displayed much like a picture. There was lots of other imagery but it was coming in to fast to type.

Often that is a problem when I read online in that I cant get it down on paper as fast as it comes in even though i can type quite fast. If I was saying this to you out loud as it came in, we would be able to work through it very quickly and sort it. However, I have become much better at reading online since I have come on the forum.

The only big issue becomes a misinterpretation of what i have written or not looking deeply enough at the message. And sometimes people just go blank on obvious things. You cant imagine the number of private messages I get where people finally get what was written.

And sometimes I just hear it wrong or words run together. For example, I got Alcovy or McElvee or mcelroy or something like that for you and I can almost bet that it was close to a name that has meaning for you but I just didnt get it quite right enough for you make sense of it. Likely, its a connection that is unsual enough to give you validation but not common enough for it to be top of mind for you.

So, in essence, for me. Its a bit of listening to a story but its much of just the knowledge is there and I am retelling the story.

I get better at channeling as I learn to just "be" with it and try not to filter or analyze it.

What you may find that holds you back the most is the fear of being wrong. Thats why practicing in a safe place is best.

For me, I have an advantage in reading in that I have no fear of being wrong or of rejection because I am working toward good and I think that the other side honors that and gives extra effort to it all.

With that said, if they don't want something known, then I will get nothing. Thats why I dont get so hung up on it being me doing it. I'm only the telephone, not the caller.

So, a lot of psychic stuff is very sketchy and suspect but when dead folks show up, I take what they say very seriously.

That's very interesting.. I've never actually talked to someone about what it feels like before. :P I almost wonder if doing this will be easier for me than some things. Because when I'm struggling to tap into my intuition, I talk through it. And normally the more I talk, the clearer it becomes. Or maybe, I've just been focusing my talents on the wrong thing. I can't predict the future. lol I just can't. My dreams might be able to sometimes, but me, personally? No. I can read tarot cards and get insight into situations. I have pretty good intuition when it comes to people and their motivations. But so far, that's all I'm really good at.

I used to see spirits a long time ago. Not really spirits, but shapes. Orbs mostly. Just big balls of light that had no place in the natural world. I saw a black ball fly through the hallway into a bedroom once. Then a second later, a picture frame fell off a shelf in that same room. That's what first drove me to this forum, I think. Or maybe it started happening once I was here.. Either way. I shut it off because it scared me. I wanted some cool psychic power, like predicting the future or reading minds or something. lol But talking to ghosts? That didn't seem like fun to me. lol I just wasn't ready. And now I think I am. I've seen faces, and shadows moving, and when I wake up in the middle of the night, I see weird shapes that I'm sure would turn into something if I focused. I'm just so tired that I ignore it.

Huh... I just realized I've been hallucinating once I ask keep up from dreams. And I wonder if it's actually hallucinations or something else? Once, I woke up, and saw a yellow ribbon tied to my bedroom fan. I sat there for at least two minutes, while my boyfriend was in the bathroom, just staring at it. I watched it flap in the breeze, twist and turn. It was about two inches wide, a foot long. And definitely yellow. When my boyfriend came back from the bathroom, I asked him to pull it off. He asked me what I was talking about. I looked by at the fan and it was gone. And I KNOW that I had seen it. So I chalked up everything after that to just hallucinations.

But the other day, I saw someone in my parking lot. Because when I wake up from a really intense dream, my eyes swim with shapes. If I focus, they turn into something. If I close my eyes and ignore them, they eventually go away. This one morning, I decided to go with it, see what I saw. And there was a person that appeared in my parking lot. My boyfriend said it was 6am when this happened, so there probably WAS someone out there. But this person was tall and wearing a bright green sparkly dress. It almost looked like a drag queen. And he or she was dancing behind this car. Who dances in parking lot at six in the morning?

Anyway... lol Maybe it was just a hallucination. But maybe not! Either way, this is definitely something I'm going to try to play with more once the wedding is done. I'm just too excited to focus on anything right now.. lol

Thanks so much for sharing with me. :) It's going to be so much easier to get started now that I know what to expect.

Just wanted to share.

I was taking a nap today on my couch and was awoken by a very cold breeze in my face. My husband (squee!!) was upstairs so he couldn't have caused a breeze. It's been very warm in my house all day, and it's over 70 degrees outside today. So I have no explanation for where this breeze could have come from.

I do however see on a lot of tv shows that a "cold spot" could be a sign a spirit is nearby... Interesting indeed. :angel: