Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Sign in to follow this  
saralex

Tarot cards for children

Hello. This is my first post and I'm new to this website but would welcome your thoughts on the above. I am not a religious person but I guess more spiritual in terms of seeking guidance. Over the years I have had tarot readings in times of needing enlightenment or clarity. I recently purchased two sets of cards that I thought my children would enjoy, a set of unicorn cards and a set of puppy cards each with words of wisdom and positive thoughts. They really enjoy looking at them and we generally pick out 3 cards at a time to see what the cards have to say. My children are 7 and 9 - do you think this is too young to be introducing them to wisdom/tarot cards or maybe the cards could have some positive influences? Thanks for your opinions to my question.

I don't think it is too young - especially as you say you are not doing tarot cards for example - my daughter (who is 2!) got hold of my angel cards one day without me noticing and she loves to look through the pictures and describe what they are doing on each card. My stepdaughter, she's 4, but not a very "secure" person - also likes looking through them, I don't tell them in detail what they mean, but if she asks me I tell her the positive meaning of each card and you can see she likes it, and it goves her a bit of positivity. She even has her own favourite ones!

They have wanted to see my tarot cards as well, but I have said no, and I keep them in a locked drawer because the messages I think these give out are too complex for kids to understand or be relevant to them at a young age.

As long as you approach it in a really relaxed way, not serious and are careful about what other spiritual things you tell them (so as not to worry them!) I see no problem with it at all!

Have fun :)

Hey it's never too young for cards. it's just something that is fun for them.

I was interested in tarot when i was in 5th grade, and it never harmed me.

just keep it simple with them... make it a game and a bit of a learning experience. find positive ways to look at each card. or ways to deal with the more negative cards like death/devil. let them know that it doesn't mean actual death, but transformation and rebirth, or whatever.. i'm sure they will be fascinated and have a good time.

theres no reason to feel ashamed for teaching your kids something.. tarot cards won't harm them. people don't ever wonder if its too early to take their kids to church, or teach them any religions.

as long as they don't feel forced or pressure to learn it/ adapt to it.

I agree, it isn't too young. At their ages they are still in better contact with their spiritual selves than most adults are and can probably make good use of the cards to not only assist themselves but to keep in touch with their spiritual selves as the grow up. It's a long trip to mature and then try to return to being spiritual, so the more balanced a person can stay throughout their lives the better.

I will say that your concern is well placed, however. These cards are gateways to the other worlds and are not simple toys. This isn't like giving them a great video game or some really cool DVD's. You can't let them go and do this by themselves and without any guidance from you. Even if you are inexperienced in Tarot reading yourself it is important that you closely watch and influence what they learn with these tools. Your greater maturity and life experience will be of great value in helping them to understand the complicated combinations of life influences that even the simplest card sets can reveal if you draw them more than one at a time. In that respect it is important that you be there to help them understand what they have discovered when they do use their cards. And of course you do not want them throwing the door to the other world wide open and inviting everything and anything to cross over. Just as you might not want to give them a Ouija board to play with you should be sure they aren't using their cards in the same way. After all it is just as easy to ask malicious spirits to communicate through a deck as it is to get guidance from Spirit. It will be important for you to teach them the difference between Spirit and spirits as they learn to use their cards. It might not be a bad idea to keep the cards yourself and bring them out only when you can all work together - until you are impressed enough that they are using their cards responsibly and correctly and can be trusted not to sit under their covers at night asking the soul of John Belushi to show them a sign.

Guest oktor

about 7-8 yrs thats how long it takes for every cell in the human body to replace itself. so we enter a new life cycle, and are totally different people every 7-8 yrs.

people often struggle to recall the first 7 yrs of there life, the mind is really sleeping and letting the body form. then anyone who's spiritual in nature will recall at about 7-8 something happened in there life that left a permanent memory and deeply effected them. it's not that something odd happened it's more that at about 7-8 we become aware of the outside world.

important ages, 7 14 21 28 35, all those are seen in palmistry as being on the left hand, the past, or still living for the family. the rest of our life is on the right side, and we begin to live truly for ourselves.

fellixe has made a good point about the similarities between Ouija and tarot, they are the major forms of communication that can go wrong, most other forms are be benign. want them to play with spirit comunication get a pendulum, and they can do yes no till their imaginations go crazy.

i've a 9yr old girl and a 12yr old boy, the boy plays with candle majic in his room and (shh i don't know about it) it's important that they develop there own belief systems without outside influence tainting them. otherwise how will they find themselves under the coatings of prejudice that all parents paint on.

cards themselves are from the tarot and designed to teach children concepts without tainting them. old maid is a good one, mother goose deck. that kind of thing, where you can sit with them, lay out a few random cards and make up a story.

i don't let my kids watch tv shows that are rated M or AO not because of the nudity, but because of the adult themes. relationship concepts that they aren't ready for. an adult tarot deck does have cards in it that contain themes not really suitable for children, and in trying to explain those to them before they are ready to experience them in the real world is to introduce your own prejudice.

another thing to keep in mind is, do you let your children play with strangers in the park? would you tell them it's a good idea to take candy from a stranger? or a ride home from people you haven't met?

playing with spirits can be the same, you are in charge of these little humans, they are part of you and rely on you to tell them who is ok and who isn't.

leave them alone with the deck and you may be leaving them alone with an infinite number of people who have lived and died and have there own problems to pass onto your kids.

wow it's not often i fill the whole screen with my comment. good exercise on the old fingertips if nothing else

Edited by oktor

hey thats weird i remember that about being 7-8 years old. its always stuck out as an important year for me.

i thought it was because our new house was built and i got my own room =P

it's important that they develop there own belief systems without outside influence tainting them. otherwise how will they find themselves under the coatings of prejudice that all parents paint on.

Thanks for your replies.. I really believe the above regarding letting children develop their own beliefs. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm not a religous person, but when my children have asked if they could go to church with friends, I let them go willingly so they see for themselves if it sits right within them. They attended a few times but I think they enjoyed the "morning tea" afterwards more than than lessons themselves - haha!

I am very new to tarot and have recently purchased my own deck to learn its concepts to see if I can gain insights, clarity and guidance for myself primarily. I do find this subject fascinating and hopefully in time will try and attend a workshop if I can find one in Perth, WA.

Life in our household has recently experienced big changes that will continue into the New Year with moves etc and certainly purchasing the cards was meant primarily for my children to have some positivity and fun. I do sit down with them when we look at their cards and discuss in a lighthearted way what we think their meanings are. They love looking at the pictures, the "Dog Wisdom" are their current favourite as the photos are so very cute.

Thanks for your positive replies and thoughts.

Guest oktor

i remember standing in the line to go into sunday school when i was a kid, there was an old lady at the front of the line handing out a lollie to each child at the door of the church. kids typically would take the lollie then go to the back of the line(or push in) and wait for a second lollie. i recall looking at the line and the lady handing out lollies, i thought, "whatever is inside that building must not be to good if they need to bribe me to get me in there."

now i've had some sleep i may be a little more positive about the tarot and your kids, if your with them when they play and you like making stories out of them then your exploring the deck in the right way.

I am very new to tarot and have recently purchased my own deck to learn its concepts to see if I can gain insights, clarity and guidance for myself primarily. I do find this subject fascinating and hopefully in time will try and attend a workshop if I can find one in Perth, WA.

Hi :) welcome to the site :)

I've found a tarot course held in Maylands, though not sure of the dates it's being run yet, if you would like the contact info for them you could pm me and I would be happy to send it on to you.

with love

Hello. This is my first post and I'm new to this website but would welcome your thoughts on the above. I am not a religious person but I guess more spiritual in terms of seeking guidance. Over the years I have had tarot readings in times of needing enlightenment or clarity. I recently purchased two sets of cards that I thought my children would enjoy, a set of unicorn cards and a set of puppy cards each with words of wisdom and positive thoughts. They really enjoy looking at them and we generally pick out 3 cards at a time to see what the cards have to say. My children are 7 and 9 - do you think this is too young to be introducing them to wisdom/tarot cards or maybe the cards could have some positive influences? Thanks for your opinions to my question.

This is a bit funny for me to see. In another group I am a co-host in this same question was brought forth.

I like everyone else says the same. WHY NOT? but then I was given such lol "flack" and one even tried to play me as a bad mother and foolish for allowing my, at the time 9 year and 6 year olds reading. I would give them readings only when asked and I tried to use my lighter decks, but my kids are just as bad as Mom. they want the truth, no matter how hard it is. My daughter is now 14 and has several decks of her own and my son has talked me out of my Lord of the Rings Tarot.

I started them out this same way. Would just let them look at the cards and if asked by them what it ment, I always responded with, what do you think it means, what does the cards picture say to you?

I was told a personal story and felt that the person who told it was telling the truth, but felt that they shouldn't have reflected their own experience on others. Now I have a woman who has read for her kids for years and thinks now she may have presuggested things in her kids lives and feels she may have messed with them in a sense.

I had to end the thread with.

I guess it is all up to the individual PARENT of the children.

Peace

This is a bit funny for me to see. In another group I am a co-host in this same question was brought forth.

I like everyone else says the same. WHY NOT? but then I was given such lol "flack" and one even tried to play me as a bad mother and foolish for allowing my, at the time 9 year and 6 year olds reading. I would give them readings only when asked and I tried to use my lighter decks, but my kids are just as bad as Mom. they want the truth, no matter how hard it is. My daughter is now 14 and has several decks of her own and my son has talked me out of my Lord of the Rings Tarot.

I started them out this same way. Would just let them look at the cards and if asked by them what it ment, I always responded with, what do you think it means, what does the cards picture say to you?

I was told a personal story and felt that the person who told it was telling the truth, but felt that they shouldn't have reflected their own experience on others. Now I have a woman who has read for her kids for years and thinks now she may have presuggested things in her kids lives and feels she may have messed with them in a sense.

I had to end the thread with.

I guess it is all up to the individual PARENT of the children.

Peace

Totally agree botyfltiger ... :)

I have only ever read for my daughter once or twice when she asked but I agree that it is totally up to the parents.

Wonder why some people have a problem with it.

PS How's that beautiful baby daughter of yours going?

Totally agree botyfltiger ... :)

I have only ever read for my daughter once or twice when she asked but I agree that it is totally up to the parents.

Wonder why some people have a problem with it.

PS How's that beautiful baby daughter of yours going?

HAHAHAHA Now Victora, asking me about my kids is opening a very large can of worms ;)

LOL She is doing wonderfully. Can you believe she'll be a year old in 16 days *shocked* She isn't walking yet, but is moments away from. Has 2 teeth, but the way she eats and what she eats one would think she had a full set already. Her older brothers and sister are still head over heel for her. Dad and I couldn't be prouder or happier. She brought back the real reason why Dad and I love one another the way we do. It was a ruff go for a bit, but now with her, she seems to have balanced ALL of us out.

LOL See LOL Thanks so much for asking. I'd be more bragging and show a pic, but will spare you all.

Peace and Love, Peggy