Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Botyfltiger

The Worst things to tell a student of tarot

Here are the dozen (twelve is a sacred number) worst things to tell a new student of Tarot who asks you which deck he or she should buy.

They've all been used, I assure you!

12. "Pick a deck which speaks to you." Suppose an otherwise perfectly good deck can't speak?

11. "Pick a deck which feels right to you." What on earth does that mean?

10. "Pick a deck which makes you think long and hard." Oops! My mistake; no one ever says this.

9. "Buy the Rider-Waite-Smith; it's the standard deck." Which flavor of Rider-Waite-Smith? Whose standard?

8. "Buy the Rider-Waite-Smith; it's easy to understand." LOL! You might as well recommend The Pictorial Key to the Tarot and other books by Waite.

7. "Don't buy the Rider-Waite-Smith; it fails to reflect the diversity of humankind." But which deck does?

6. "Buy Motherpeace; it's Goddess-oriented." Not to be said to men.

5. "Don't buy Motherpeace; it bashes men." Not to be said to women.

4. "Buy XYZ deck; I plumb wore my first copy out." BTW, if it is The Tarot of Baseball you're up the stream without a paddle—even if you have a bat.

3. "Don't buy XYZ deck, it's too complicated (evil, dark, misogynistic)." Usually said of Thoth.

2. "Don't buy the Tarot of Marseilles; the pip cards aren't illustrated; you'll have to memorize their meanings." Something

wrong or unspiritual about studying?

And the absolutely worst thing to tell a new student:

1. "Don't even think of buying a deck; you must wait for someone to give you one." If it's the Dragon Tarot you're out of luck!

Guest Dot

I don't think there's a problem in saying "choose which feels right". If you're looking for a particular deck, maybe you could ask what kind of deck you want... I just picked one that caught my fancy; at first I didn't like it but it grew on me and I like it now.

Though saying not to buy a tarot deck... that's a bit close minded. That's not even the right expression. They're there to buy so you can BUY THEM.

I'm done now. :D

Dot: defeatist?

Do particular decks of the same type have different energies?

I mean, if you had two decks of Rider-Waite-Smith sitting next to each other, would you prefer one over the other?

ok

where do you get these tarot's lol.

i wanna buy some now :D

Meg, check your PM.

I don't think there's a problem in saying "choose which feels right". If you're looking for a particular deck, maybe you could ask what kind of deck you want... I just picked one that caught my fancy; at first I didn't like it but it grew on me and I like it now.

Though saying not to buy a tarot deck... that's a bit close minded. That's not even the right expression. They're there to buy so you can BUY THEM.

I'm done now. :D

I see now and checked, it seems the copyright is missing from this. I am not the author of this list. :P

And I am right there with you on picking a deck that feels right to you. That IS how I got my first deck. Went into amazon, put in the keyword tarot and noticed I kept going back to the same one, so bought it.

I wasn't aware of all the hoopla dooda that goes into buying your first tarot deck, :P seems even tarot readers have superstitions..

yeh i looked :)

i meant which kind of store to get one :) dont like gettin stuff from internet lol.

except for psychic help, of course lol XD

I chose mine by the pictures I am drawn to. I have a mini deck of rider-waite which is easier to carry around but I don't particularly like it.

I also have Lucy Cavendish's deck which I love the pictures but it's not the full set. She doesn't have all the Kings, Queens, Pages, Knights.

My first set I bought was the reneissance tarot. All the pictures look like they are made out of coloured clay - they have the 3D look to them and I absolutley love them. They are definatley still my favourite deck. I saw them years ago in a doubleday catalogue and ordered them. They are well loved (and worn)

I also have another lovers tarot deck.

I've got the Osho Zen Tarot. I like it because it has emotive pictures, so is quite easy to read for a beginner. Also, most of the cards line up with regular tarot in some way, so it can be developed quite far.

Some of the cards are scary though, one in particular, No-thingness which is COMPLETELY BLACK. :ph34r:

I've got the Osho Zen Tarot. I like it because it has emotive pictures, so is quite easy to read for a beginner. Also, most of the cards line up with regular tarot in some way, so it can be developed quite far.

Some of the cards are scary though, one in particular, No-thingness which is COMPLETELY BLACK. :ph34r:

That is a deck that has been on my wish list for some time now. Good for you to have picked that one. I hear it is a fantastic deck. I see the images and am all drooling over them, but it seems the second I think I have the money saved to get that deck, something comes up and I have to use that 40 bucks on something else... *sigh* <_<

Peace

I guess I thought that this post was a joke. Lol. I mean, you can poke fun at all the suggested ways to pick but in the end what you pick and why you pick usually says a lot about you. For me, I got all hung up on everyone who said you should only have one deck. That is the way I feel about Men..but not about my divining tools. I often buy wine because it has a pretty label, ditto for tarot decks. On the other hand, I've been led to buy some that at first I did not like the design of but found that somehow their archetypes conveyed meanings very easily for me.