Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Tyler

Why is being Psychic looked down upon in some religions?

I'm just browsing through various posts, and I came across this one from 2009. Interesting comments, but hey, they're a bit generalised! I'm a Christian and I had my most meaningful psychic experiences whilst in Theology college! The Bible is full of seers, psychics, prophets, miracles and the like. I'm sure my experiences came from a higher power who, at the time, I considered as God. I do feel sad when some people who give themselves the title "Christian" say things which cause offence to other people. Christianity is replete with spiritual experience of the supernatural kind! How could any Christian be opposed to the psychic world?? It would be a contradiction. Catechisms and so forth are man-made documents. Jesus was the real example.

Guest Dot

It's lovely to have somebody on the forum such as you, oldwisegoth. I know quite a few accepting Christians personally, and they're good people. You're right, it's important to keep things in perspective, though I think for the most part people are talking about the extreme conservative-end of Christians in this thread. :)

Alright.

Well I'm a Christian, and my dad is a pretty conservative guy. He dismisses anything about ghosts, psychics or the paranormal as fake, or stupid. It's really irritating, because I'm psychic, and it really is bugging me that at church people talk about stuff like this, and I feel that if anyone knows, or the word gets out, I will be shunned from my church. I want to remain a good Christian, but I just don't understand why it is so looked down upon as 'withcraft' or 'voodoo', when it's the opposite of that. I was born with it, and no magic shaman made me the way I am.

Discuss?

Hi Tyler,

Humans (& other creatures) are always afraid of what they do not know much about, it pays to be very choosy as to whom you discuss these things with.

There is nothing wrong with your gift.

You are fine, normal and a good person.

Always remember that....oh...and pick your battles, sometimes it's not worth arguing with those who have made their minds up on a subject, just find balanced like minded people to feel acceptance on the matter.

Good luck

Neleh :)

It's lovely to have somebody on the forum such as you, oldwisegoth. I know quite a few accepting Christians personally, and they're good people. You're right, it's important to keep things in perspective, though I think for the most part people are talking about the extreme conservative-end of Christians in this thread. :)

Apologies, Dot! I have just seen your response to my post - from October. I thought I had my system set up so that I'd be notified of replies, but it's not happening. Anyway, thanks for responding.

I get great joy out of my Christian experience, complete with the psychic bonus! I do think "the church" has made Christianity more complicated than it needs to be, though. I love the simplicity of the way Jesus operated. I've participating in studying doctrinal and theological subjects in the past (I have a Masters in theology), and I found it interesting, challenging and mind-stretching, but as far as applicability to the day to day journey of the average traveller (me .... us), I go back to basics. Keep it simple. Keep it joyful. Christianity is FULL of positives, not negatives.

Guest charless

Apologies, Dot! I have just seen your response to my post - from October. I thought I had my system set up so that I'd be notified of replies, but it's not happening. Anyway, thanks for responding.

I get great joy out of my Christian experience, complete with the psychic bonus! I do think "the church" has made Christianity more complicated than it needs to be, though. I love the simplicity of the way Jesus operated. I've participating in studying doctrinal and theological subjects in the past (I have a Masters in theology), and I found it interesting, challenging and mind-stretching, but as far as applicability to the day to day journey of the average traveller (me .... us), I go back to basics. Keep it simple. Keep it joyful. Christianity is FULL of positives, not negatives.

Well, didn't the idea of Hell only appear in the New Testament? How do you reconcile this with the gentle Jesus meek and mild we were taught about as children?

Well, didn't the idea of Hell only appear in the New Testament? How do you reconcile this with the gentle Jesus meek and mild we were taught about as children?

Good point, Charless. But I think it was His father's idea :-))

The idea of "gentle Jesus meek and mild" came from Charles Wesley.

Jesus, in my opinion, was a revolutionary. I've always imagined Him to be rugged. He didn't suffer fools, but it seems He had a calm interweaving of gentleness in His character. Nice balance.

Guest charless

Good point, Charless. But I think it was His father's idea :-))

The idea of "gentle Jesus meek and mild" came from Charles Wesley.

Jesus, in my opinion, was a revolutionary. I've always imagined Him to be rugged. He didn't suffer fools, but it seems He had a calm interweaving of gentleness in His character. Nice balance.

Ok, but father, son and holy ghost: triune God, three in one. No? And the only way around Hell, burning forever, is through the son? No? Or have I misunderstood?

Guest Angel C

But was it really God, or Jesus who talked of "hell" or was it those who wrote the bible? Does it actually 100% say there is a hell in the bible, and that if we commit any sin we will burn in it? Or is it open to interpretation?

There are also a lot of things which were left out of the bible. Was it not people who decided what the masses should know about and what we should not?

Guest charless

But was it really God, or Jesus who talked of "hell" or was it those who wrote the bible? Does it actually 100% say there is a hell in the bible, and that if we commit any sin we will burn in it? Or is it open to interpretation?

There are also a lot of things which were left out of the bible. Was it not people who decided what the masses should know about and what we should not?

for example, from the sermon on the mount:

27 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: Ex. 20.14 · Deut. 5.18

28 but I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. Mt. 18.9 · Mk. 9.47

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. Mt. 18.8 · Mk. 9.43

This is for adultery, not murder. These are Christ's quoted words in the bible. Did Christ actually say this? I don't know but this is christianity.

Guest Angel C

I just wonder if it was translated correctly by the people who decided what went into the bible and what did not. Why would he say "body" surely the hell we talk about today we imagine it is the soul that burns.

Guest charless

I just wonder if it was translated correctly by the people who decided what went into the bible and what did not. Why would he say "body" surely the hell we talk about today we imagine it is the soul that burns.

Yes, perhaps the translation is faulty. Body I suppose could mean being but there are other references to body parts. Translations between languages are always open to possibilities and individual taste. I am not sure though how the christian idea of Hell could be seen as a mistake.

Guest Angel C

Could it be possible that Jesus was actually talking about a punishment which existed on earth, and that the word "hell" could simply mean "flame"

Guest charless

Could it be possible that Jesus was actually talking about a punishment which existed on earth, and that the word "hell" could simply mean "flame"

I think you want to alibi Jesus!

Guest Angel C

Oh I certainly dont think that it was a mistake. I believe that the human man Jesus was mis-represented purposefully to suit those who wanted to remain in power.

I believe Jesus' purpose was to show us all what we are capable of. I believe that others decided that this should not be known.

Guest charless

Oh I certainly dont think that it was a mistake. I believe that the human man Jesus was mis-represented purposefully to suit those who wanted to remain in power.

I believe Jesus' purpose was to show us all what we are capable of. I believe that others decided that this should not be known.

I think you should open this up for discussion. Please start a thread and tomorrow I'll contribute.

Guest Angel C

We can discuss it here.

I believe Jesus was the same as any other person. I think Buddha was too. I think because they were prothesized as being "saviours" and special, they grew up with that understanding. They did not know any other, so therefore truly accepted all of their spiritual and psychic skills, and worked on them.

I believe Jesus' main message was that we are all like him.

Guest Angel C
for example, from the sermon on the mount:

27 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: Ex. 20.14 · Deut. 5.18

28 but I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. Mt. 18.9 · Mk. 9.47

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. Mt. 18.8 · Mk. 9.43

This is for adultery, not murder. These are Christ's quoted words in the bible. Did Christ actually say this? I don't know but this is christianity.

Could it be that Jesus was not talking of the kind of adultery that people commit today, but the kind of adultery that we today would call "rape". If he was talking of adultery why would he only be talking about the male role in this?

Guest charless

Could it be that Jesus was not talking of the kind of adultery that people commit today, but the kind of adultery that we today would call "rape". If he was talking of adultery why would he only be talking about the male role in this?

I had quite a good opinion of christianity, perhaps based on my upbringing, and then I made the mistake of talking to some christians. I found out that if I don't explicitly accept the OT and the NT I am a "miserable sinner without excuse" doomed to hellfire. It makes no difference what I do or don't do in my life - if I don't explicitly embrace the God of the OT and NT I will burn forever and deserve it. This is christianity like it or not. Personally I don't like it.

Guest Angel C

I dont like those aspects of Chirstianity either, but believe that Jesus was a great spiritual teacher who was misrepresented by man-made religion.

The biggest lie of all time being that we go to hell if we dont follow what the churches want us to do.

I was brought up athiest, but as you know have strong spiritual beliefs. In the sense that we are all connected, and that I believe we have a soul and do not cease to be on leaving this life. Other than that I do not know.

However I still believe that Jesus and Buddha were the most important spiritual teachers the world has ever seen. As an afterthought its interesting that Buddhas teachings were seemingly less adapted.

Guest Tayshet

Alright.

Well I'm a Christian, and my dad is a pretty conservative guy. He dismisses anything about ghosts, psychics or the paranormal as fake, or stupid. It's really irritating, because I'm psychic, and it really is bugging me that at church people talk about stuff like this, and I feel that if anyone knows, or the word gets out, I will be shunned from my church. I want to remain a good Christian, but I just don't understand why it is so looked down upon as 'withcraft' or 'voodoo', when it's the opposite of that. I was born with it, and no magic shaman made me the way I am.

Discuss?

Hello! Nothing comes from nowhere. Your dad is very quick to reassure. Yes, of course, he, like many others did not believe, what we believe. But also we do not believe what they believe. They are larger and have less. This is the rule. Tell me your father's date of birth and his parents. Nothing else is talking about. I'll tell you all about it.

I have known churches that looked down on playing card games, dancing, going to modern movies and listening to modern music. Even was told once that God liked me better showing up in Church in a dress as opposed to dress slacks and nice blouse! (excuse me, but God knows me in my birthday suit... what I put on it is a moot point!) I highly doubt that God looks down on all of that. Those, I believe are more man made rules. But of course, I believe in a graceful. forgiving God, as opposed to the one that wants to flame me at any given moment.

Another thought: If Jesus were to walk the earth again and we didn't believe in God's powers to do the incredible, would Jesus be persecuted again? Maybe we have learned to be more open to miracles and angels and the power of love.

How is it OK to pray to the heavens, to ask angels to guide your path, but not intuition, or 'hearing' warnings, guidance or serendipity. Wouldn't we be blind to the very signs that we ask for?

The world would be a better place if we opened our minds a little. Too much rigidity can be a bad thing.

Let's face it - basic human sexuality is also looked down upon by some religions. Psychic intuition is just another function of a human being, like reproduction, hearing, digestion, and so on.

So the question becomes: Why would some organization want to regulate human functionality?

Guest Angel C
Why would some organization want to regulate human functionality?

Like!