Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Tyler

Why is being Psychic looked down upon in some religions?

Psychic abilities is NOT looked down on in buddhism and hindusm.

In fact, it was the opening up of gautama buddha's various psychic eyes that enable him to see the truth of life. eg. reincarnation, karma etc.

In fact, he encourages all his disciples to do meditation to open up their psychic eyes.

Being psychic is looked down on because of the scriptures in the Old Testament referring to witchcraft and divination.

When the Israelites left Egypt, the Law given to them expressly states that they were not to practice sorcery or look for omens.

There were other options that they had, namely the Urim and the Thummin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urim_and_Thummim

In ancient Israelite religion and culture, Urim and Thummim is a phrase from the Hebrew Scriptures or Torah associated with the hoshen (High Priest's breastplate), divination in general, and cleromancy in particular. Most scholars suspect that the phrase refers to specific objects involved in the divination.

A passage — 1 Samuel 14:41 — in the Books of Samuel is regarded by biblical scholars as key to understanding the Urim and Thummim;[2] the passage describes an attempt to identify a sinner via divination, by repeatedly splitting the people into two groups and identifying which group contains the sinner. In the version of this passage in the Masoretic text, it describes Saul and Jonathan being separated from the rest of the people, and lots being cast between them

According to classical rabbinical literature, in order for the Urim and Thummim to give an answer, it was first necessary for the individual to stand facing the fully dressed high priest, and vocalise the question briefly and in a simple way, though it wasn't necessary for it to be loud enough for anyone else to hear it. The Talmudic rabbis argued that Urim and Thummim were words written on the sacred breastplate.[6] Most of the Talmudic rabbis, and Josephus, following the belief that Urim meant lights, argued that divination by Urim and Thummim involved questions being answered by great rays of light shining out of certain jewels on the breastplate; each jewel was taken to represent different letters, and the sequence of lighting thus would spell out an answer (though there were 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet, and only 12 jewels on the breastplate);[7][8][9] two Talmudic rabbis, however, argued that the jewels themselves moved in a way that made them stand out from the rest, or even moved themselves into groups to form words.[10]

There are historical Christians who were psycic, or outside the norm for a better way of saying it. You have healers, seers, oracles, miracle workers. Christians with a twist. Religion has NOTHING to do with your abilities. It's how you put them together that counts.

Alright.

Well I'm a Christian, and my dad is a pretty conservative guy. He dismisses anything about ghosts, psychics or the paranormal as fake, or stupid. It's really irritating, because I'm psychic, and it really is bugging me that at church people talk about stuff like this, and I feel that if anyone knows, or the word gets out, I will be shunned from my church. I want to remain a good Christian, but I just don't understand why it is so looked down upon as 'withcraft' or 'voodoo', when it's the opposite of that. I was born with it, and no magic shaman made me the way I am.

Discuss?

My dad told me that I am in league with Satan. He got angry with me when I said that being an Atheist that I don't believe in God or Satan. You can't condemn with with something I don't believe in.

I find the some folks use their beliefs... whatever religion or belief system they happen to be... to suit their needs at the time. My daughter doesn't believe her god will condemn her for doing something she wants to do :P and will turn around and condemn me for being a witch. She says she doesn't believe in reiki or in magick. Then how is it you can condemn me for something you don't believe is real????

Of course,Chamuel but,Christians,Catholics,etc. believe it is the word of God. The bible is what they run their life by,as well as whatever other rules priests can come up with.

Alright.

Well I'm a Christian, and my dad is a pretty conservative guy. He dismisses anything about ghosts, psychics or the paranormal as fake, or stupid. It's really irritating, because I'm psychic, and it really is bugging me that at church people talk about stuff like this, and I feel that if anyone knows, or the word gets out, I will be shunned from my church. I want to remain a good Christian, but I just don't understand why it is so looked down upon as 'withcraft' or 'voodoo', when it's the opposite of that. I was born with it, and no magic shaman made me the way I am.

Discuss?

People often criticize what they don't understand, or were brainwashed from an early age to abhor anything like that. Some people just refuse to think for themselves. (Something which annoys me greatly. If God - or whomever - gave us a brain, why not use it?)

And don't feel too bad. My aunt is married to a minister, and she's a psychic and medium. Even her hubby's sisters claim to have abilities. I just think that a lot of religious people actually DO believe in psychics and the like, only they're too afraid to admit it even to themselves. I'm sure they all have different reasons.

As for being shunned at church.... these folks are giving themselves heirs and it sounds to me like they've been spoon-fed from birth to let the church think for them. If they can't see for themselves that people with psychic abilities are good people too, it's their loss. I'd have no problem door-slamming these people at all. Respect swings both ways.

And every church has their own definition of what being a "good Christian" is. (Because churches are led my flawed humans, whom can't seem to agree on anything anyway). That's going to have to be up to you to decide. (And I think you already know the answer :) ).

Christians don't like psychics,because it says in the bible to stay away from Psychics.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/psychic

http://www.gotquestions.org/psychics-Christian.html

Jesus and his apostles were "psychics" - Jesus could walk on water, turn water into wine, resurrect the dead. He also knew the woman at the well had been married five times.

In the first century, it was not uncommon for people in the congregation to use their spiritual gifts, visions, healing, raising the dead etc.

I believe the bible only warns against those who use their abilities for less than stellar means. To manipulate or present themselves as a savior or a prophet when they are not. And most importantly, those who attempt to contact or gain powers from "evil" with their abilities.

I also believe that the bible has been altered over generations to fit the biases of the editors and many messages that may have come from Jesus are skewed.

Lilly, Not all Christians interpret the bible as having to be taken literally :)