Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Tyler

Why is being Psychic looked down upon in some religions?

Alright.

Well I'm a Christian, and my dad is a pretty conservative guy. He dismisses anything about ghosts, psychics or the paranormal as fake, or stupid. It's really irritating, because I'm psychic, and it really is bugging me that at church people talk about stuff like this, and I feel that if anyone knows, or the word gets out, I will be shunned from my church. I want to remain a good Christian, but I just don't understand why it is so looked down upon as 'withcraft' or 'voodoo', when it's the opposite of that. I was born with it, and no magic shaman made me the way I am.

Discuss?

Alright.

Well I'm a Christian, and my dad is a pretty conservative guy. He dismisses anything about ghosts, psychics or the paranormal as fake, or stupid. It's really irritating, because I'm psychic, and it really is bugging me that at church people talk about stuff like this, and I feel that if anyone knows, or the word gets out, I will be shunned from my church. I want to remain a good Christian, but I just don't understand why it is so looked down upon as 'withcraft' or 'voodoo', when it's the opposite of that. I was born with it, and no magic shaman made me the way I am.

Discuss?

The Bible...

Fear

Ignorance <_>

Hi Tyler,

It's generally believed in Christian circles that God has not contacted, spoken to, or otherwise provided insight since the completion of the Bible... this is based on the very last sentence warning about anyone adding to or taking away from the Bible. Because of this belief, anything "otherworldly" has to be seen as tricks of Satan, fooling the unfaithful.

If we look further back, the natural ability to gain Insight into reality and relative truth was always a part of each culture prior to the coming of Chritianity. In order to be the one and only true religion it was necessary to Usurp each and every belief, sacred natural place and ability. This was done firstly by saying that the old and very natural ways were Evil, which was followed up by the destruction of sacred spaces, or the overlaying of churches on them in order to get the people of old ways into the church to be brainwashed into believing they were evil, against God, and therefore sinners in need of redemption.

Even though we now live in far more enlightened times the beliefs are still there, still more prevalent than ever. I only know this because I did some months of Bible study to ascertain how the Indoctrination Process worked, and because my father is a born again Christian who has tried no end to sway me to Christianity based on his fear that Satan is tricking me and I will then be doomed to Hell for Eternity.

Lastly, what better control mechanism is there to use on the people? I mean, if you cannot brainwash them to believe what you want them to believe, then you can call them evil tool of Satan so that they become afraid to be themselves at all times. Here is proof, are you not afraid to be who you really are with all peope in all places?

Perhaps it is best to couch the words we use in acceptable Christian Speak, as I do with my father, so that they are more able to hear the messages you may have to offer.

I don't think the Gnostic Christians looked down on being psychic, but they were pushed out of the mainstream. I would say it is because it gives you personal power (what I mean is your spidey senses can lead you in the right direction, tell you things you would not otherwise know, etc.). I don't find it a big leap to think that those who want to use religion for power and to control people would not want people to believe things that empower them, like that they are a part of God.

Lastly, what better control mechanism is there to use on the people? I mean, if you cannot brainwash them to believe what you want them to believe, then you can call them evil tool of Satan so that they become afraid to be themselves at all times. Here is proof, are you not afraid to be who you really are with all peope in all places?
I am not afraid, and I will easily come out at work and say I do not subscribe to any organized religion. I guess I feel that just as I do not want them to push their beliefs on me, I don't want to push my beliefs on them either, but I will talk about them if asked. I generally consider it unprofessional to discuss religion or politics at work, and being psychic, well, that usually gets filed under the religion category.

hey Tyler!

ok so ONCE i asked around in the vestuary (where the choir people get changed for services) i asked where I could get tarot cards. well this one person said "uhm... you could get them in a bookstore. but they are known as the work of the devil, though"

well i just nodded, and thought about that all the way through the service. needless to say, I DID ask God about being psychic.

i saw in a vision (whilst in church) the altar. on the robey thing, there was a cross, and either side, there were tarot cards.

abit before that, i saw myself split in two. one side being psychic (its hard to explain how) and the other christian (again, hard to explain how)

i believe christianity and being psychic can be loved together :)

but answering your q, its because it is supposedly the work of the devil *rolls eyes*

Alright.

Discuss?

hehe i wanna make a long post, i love this topic!! lol.

i would shy away from telling anyone in church... usually not the best move. ive told TWO people from church, but they didnt take it that well. it took a while to settle into their minds; then they just forgot about it.

it IS irritating, that they dont understand. you have to be yourself in church, but i have to hide it aswell. so annoying and complicated. like if they have REALLY good vibes (saay... we did a real good piece and everyone is laughing that it was so good) then I would start laughing coz of the empathy; when everyone stops, i have to force myself to stop, and its not natural really...

you ARE a good christian :)

Alright.

Discuss?

Religions end up being more about control than truth. They have so many contradictions that they simply ignore because they cant explain them.

Start with Adam and Eve, supposedly the first people. They had two sons, Cain and Able. Cain killed Able, but when he was cast out for it he was worried that someone would kill him. Who? There should have been only Adam, Eve and Cain at that point. When Moses did something it was a miracle, when Pharaoh's magicians did it, it was a trick. Both the Bible and the Koran warn of fortune tellers and magicians, but also tell of Prophets and miracles.

Many religions have a long history of torturing and killing people that did not believe in their peaceful religion. They have sought to control things that should not have been their concern. As an example, at one time the church insisted that the earth was at the center of everything and the sun and the planets went around the earth and the orbits had to be circles. Though it is not even in the bible, they made it religious doctrine and arrested Galileo for putting the sun at the center. We know this to be wrong today, but people today still insist that the church can't be wrong.

I was raised Christian, but I was also taught to look at and evaluate things. I see various religions killing each other over strips of land, and arguing over trivial things. They knock on your door and tell you that the church you belong to is wrong. They fight over control of their churches. With their lack of thought, inability to follow their own teachings and lack of respect for others I don't feel that I can support them. When asked what religion I am, I usually tell people I'm independent. I have been called a witch, though I don't practice witchcraft. I have been told that my abilities are evil, even though I have never done anything but help people with them. I don't see a purpose in listening to their opinion.

Many paranormal things were described in the religious writings, but with a bias. If you were part of their group you were deemed a prophet, if you were not, you were a witch. It had more to do with being for or against them, than God.

I hear you Merlin, I see religion as mainly and foremost an effective way to control the masses. I don't believe I need any organized religion to be spiritual, and it is so much nicer being free from things like sin consciousness, having to believe another man will go to "hell" just because he doesn't believe the same thing you do, even if you have lived your life hurting others and he has done nothing but good. It is all so controlling, so confining, that I just came to think of organized religion (in general) as a "box". I decided I like living outside of the box.

Alright.

Discuss?

Have you seen Zeitgeist the movie? Google it if you are interested, informative on the nature of religion in general imho. I think George Carlin's views are pretty good too.

I used to call myself Christian but can not any more. I can see why you question a religion that questions a natural ability that you have. I believe religion ascribes supernatural power to natural things, fosters superstition and magical thinking. The good vs evil thing is going too far imo, it is decisive and has taken so many lives. But religions lend themselves to a sense of group supierority, black and white thinking, and ultimately oppression.

Yet I believe in a force... a living spirit... a natural entity that connects us all.

Good luck to you !

Have you seen Zeitgeist the movie? Google it if you are interested, informative on the nature of religion in general imho. I think George Carlin's views are pretty good too.

I used to call myself Christian but can not any more. I can see why you question a religion that questions a natural ability that you have. I believe religion ascribes supernatural power to natural things, fosters superstition and magical thinking. The good vs evil thing is going too far imo, it is decisive and has taken so many lives. But religions lend themselves to a sense of group supierority, black and white thinking, and ultimately oppression.

Yet I believe in a force... a living spirit... a natural entity that connects us all.

Good luck to you !

I agree.

It's just looked down upon because of fear, ignorance, and according to the Bible, it is a sin to try and communicate with the dead. Also, people are afraid of what they don't understand. People right off things they don't understand as fake, or think of it as a taboo. I am also Christian, and am also quite young, and I do find it sad that my fellow Christians cannot except what I was born as. It says in the Bible that you should not judge others, if you don't want to be judged yourself. It's very hypocritical in some ways. I am still a Christian, and always hope to be, but some of the people that I know that follow the religion aren't very open-minded, therefore I keep what I am a secret to people that feel it is fake, or will insult me because of what I am.

At first I was drawn to the church but after 3 months I left because I realised the church didn't understand spiritualism although they spoke about Jesus & his spirit rising, about his followers seeing his spirit & getting messages etc etc.... I was left confused about religion but more ready to learn & understand about the changes I was going through in regards to spirit.... People will believe in what they want to believe, usually through ignorance & an unwillingness to believe in &/or learn something new.....

I am not ashamed to tell people about spirit, if they want to talk about it..... & you shouldn't feel ashamed or stupid.... be your own person....

Alright.

Discuss?

What religion are you specifically or are you just a general Christan? I ask this because I know the Catholic Church believes in these types of things as well as a few Born-again Christian churches.

Oftentimes, if people haven't experienced something before, they tend to dismiss it. People also tend to dismiss things they don't understand rather than figuring out why they don't understand it.

From the catechism

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.

While I have met individuals who can see, understand and are accepting, Churches as a group tend to be closed minded about anything they did not originate and unaccepted of people with different beliefs. Contradictions are evident here as well, charms and idols are condemned, but statues, crosses, crucifixes and rosaries are common and accepted. Use of supernatural power to heal is condemned, but what are they doing when they pray for someone who is sick? Who decides if someone is a prophet, or is practicing divination?

mm merlin, whats that? whats catechism?

it takes ALOT to take me off of an idea (unless i contribute to a group of strangers.... lol) and i was in the whole "what if being psychic is evil" mode...

well i got those visions and stuff.

and well, God and the universe know me too well lol. they knew its gonna take ALOT to make me un-doubtful.

sooo there was a reading... (in the service)

and i forgot exactly what it said, but basically, it said at the end that all powers are from God.

basically; if you say that your power is the work of God, thats OK.

and well yeh, my psychic power was created from God, and I worship him because of his holiness (hmm sp?) and his creativeness :)

meg

x

There are many things that should be questioned that are in the Bible and why, who placed them there.

There were many men in the bible, who today would be called psychics.

Abraham was directly spoken to by g-d, Jacob, Daniel, Nebuchadnezzar and Obadiah the Prophet all had dreams that came true.

I wont go into my opinion on why this is how today's Catholics and Christians see psychics or anyone who has the eye or gift as it has been called, but it has to do with control and fear.

I also believe in the bible, not the King James, since none of the actually teachings of Jesus are in the King James version, but Jesus told Mary Magdalen that his cousin John the Baptist had many dreams that came to light...

So there were many, what we would today consider to be psychics in the bible, most of it has been covered up or made out to seem only those who said they were, were the crazy one's, not those who 'heard' the word of g-d, from g-d it self. Whom today would be seen as having a mental disorder, not hearing the words of g-d... :woofpup:

mm merlin, whats that? whats catechism?

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/arch...sm/p3s2c1a1.htm

Some of the writings of the Catholic church. I am not Catholic and don't know much more than that about it. I think it is written or revised, by the Pope, or perhaps the Cardinals. Perhaps someone that is Catholic could elaborate. There is similar doctrine in other Christian and Islamic churches, I am not sure about Jewish, other than what is in the Bible.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/arch...sm/p3s2c1a1.htm

Some of the writings of the Catholic church. I am not Catholic and don't know much more than that about it. I think it is written or revised, by the Pope, or perhaps the Cardinals. Perhaps someone that is Catholic could elaborate. There is similar doctrine in other Christian and Islamic churches, I am not sure about Jewish, other than what is in the Bible.

I'm a Christian, and my chruch always taught that psychic ability was something sinful, so i used to try and block stuff out,which wasn't always easy. I think the idea is rooted in the belief that all spiritual wisdom should come from God, not ourselves. Chrisitanity in general frowns on searching for spiritual guidance outside of the Bible but i think that this idea also leaves out the posibility that psychic wisdom comes from God. I still avoid psychic practices, such as tarot cards or projections,mostly because of my early teachings on them, but i'm learning to accept natural knowledge and intuition that comes on a spiritual level. I think Christianity can coexist with spiritualism, and there are many instances of prophets in the bible using God-given ability to predict future events and affect people. I think it is just a matter of looking at both sides of the spectrum.

Guest ColorMySoul

It fancinates me that some religions (I'm going to use Christianity in this example) teach that psychics and magic are sinful, yet Jesus walked on water, turned water to wine, and came back from the dead. Others parted the Red Sea and plagues hit the Earth. Jesus was the SON of God, but he wasn't God himself. Why is it okay for him to be able to be a magical person, but not others? And why is it that because we practice it, it means it DOESN'T come from God? People write words that they say come from God. Can't people be prophets that get their information from God? Confuses me, really.

Guest jrayvslang
Alright.

Discuss?

because of some of the dark arts that can be used to foresee like scribing using hallucigans and they say some people with demon possesion have been known to foresee events etc but as you read the bible you can clearly see even god had his foreseers revelations for one it is largely because in the old days they looked at things unusual as witchcraft or something evil etc even Nostradamus was scared of persecution that is why he hid things in plain sight or in different launguages but times have changed thank god we are out of the dark age mentality

from what i see from my experiences life is like the ultimate machine we are all connected to it weither we realize it or not i have no religion but i believe in not using people but i do believe in karma i really feel that all the religions talk about the same god it is just that cultures defention of him because from what i saw all religions flow throu god

Jealousy (Religions are especialy silly to look down apon psychics when after all it seems more likely than not that the prophets of a religion were psychic or atleast spiritualy connected).

Yes i agree with the post above - jealousy

I come from a religious christian family who do not believe in psychics - i've have my tarot cards taken away and thrown out many a time, and i've been forced to go to church to ''confess'' my sins.. like, how is being psychic a sin? People recieve 'messages from god' (if god is not bias enough), and we recieve messages from guides who are around us.. how is that different? anyway, needless to say i follow my religion to the best of my ability, but i accept that there is more out there than fearing the great big bible..

I think - as victoria stated at the beginning of the post - ignorance is #1 reason.. fear!! FEAR US FOR WE CAN CONTROL YOUR MIND *pfft*!! MOUahahahahaha

I think it is mainly because of history/tradition...

it goes very far back that psychic-type sensations were associated with posession/the devil/etc.

My own theory is it has to do with the rise of Patriarchy. Males are associated with rational thinking, logic and allopathic medicine. Females (and Matriarchy) are associated with emotional thinking, intuition and holistic approaches to healing.

The rise of Patriarchy led, necessarily, to stamping out all elements of Matriarchy.

i think it's ashame.

dont get me wrong.. we all have our beliefs and i respect that, but i for one have never been 'into' religion. everything i believe in and feel has not been taught to me... its just an instinct and feeling which created my belief i supose.

i have come accross christians who think they are the only ones who can have 'faith' and 'hope'... this could not be further from the truth.

i also personally diclike when one thinks 'god' is in charge, that he creates our destiny and fate and that he simply decides everything. WE shape our OWN lives and stear it in the direction we want... i believe we are in charge.

for instance, i saw on tv last nigiht of a couple whos daughter has cancer and should recieve chemo asap.. they choose alternative therapy, fled the country to do this in their home country and stay with their relatives. the father kept saying 'its gods will' etc.... but it was a CHOICE to go down this dangerous road of an alternative therapy (which is unlikely to do anything) than to start her on chemo and have a good chance of surviving.

im sure i have moved off topic slightly ;)

xx

i have come accross christians who think they are the only ones who can have 'faith' and 'hope'... this could not be further from the truth.

i also personally diclike when one thinks 'god' is in charge, that he creates our destiny and fate and that he simply decides everything. WE shape our OWN lives and stear it in the direction we want... i believe we are in charge.

Yes, I agree... we are in charge. I don't mind asking god and the Universe for help though! :angel: