Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GypsyMama

New Meditation Idea

I am not good at meditating. I always fall asleep and get very distracted by my thoughts if I'm simply trying to keep my mind blank... it seems to run a bazillion miles an hour, and is near impossible to "still."

So, when I was sitting outside yesterday, I had an idea that I tried. What I did was focus on each sense... sort of.... hearing, seeing, smelling, touching.... taste is too much like smell, so I left it alone. For as long as I could concentrate, I would list to myself what I was sensing.

When I was focused on "hearing", I covered my face so I couldn't see or smell easily. I made a note of every sound I could hear and where I thought it might be coming from. Nature sure makes beautiful music! :)

When I was focused on "seeing", I positioned my eyes on one thing -- in this case, the shed in our backyard -- and made a mental note of what I could see in my peripheral vision *without moving my eyes*. That was very hard to do. Different visual meditations I often do when I'm feeling low are to look for the colors of the rainbow, in order if I can, or to mentally list all the instances of light I can see. Those are two very uplifting exercises that are easy to do. :)

Focusing on smelling and on touch, I would close my eyes and again make a mental note of each individual thing I could sense.

Now, obviously, with all that mental activity, I'm not creating a blank slate for reception, like some meditations do. But, when done, I felt more aware, clearer.... and come to think of it, I saw more little circles of light yesterday. So, I suspect that even though it might not bring any psychic activity at the time (though I would think it certainly might!), it's good practice for using the sixth sense at other times... and certainly brings one more in tune with their surroundings.

Anyway, it was so fun I wanted to share since I'd seen some people mention on the boards not knowing how to begin with meditation... and having been very uncomfortable with traditional meditation myself. (Not in any moral way, just.... well, I don't think ADD goes well with sitting quietly and thinking about nothing! lol!)

~ Zan

That is a great technique. I tell people who are just getting started that it takes lots of patience and meditation is a practice (years). The way you describe is similar to how I meditate, but it took me awhile to get to what you discovered. I have reached the stillness and quiet that is described to us, but only briefly and I usually find someway to mess it up by suddenly getting excited. But each time I meditate I know I am improving and I often experience or learn something.

I used to have the same problem while meditating! For Christmas my mom bought me a variety of meditation CD's but my favorite by far is "Meditations For a New Earth" by Kim Eng. They are unlike other guided medtations because they don't make you picture yourself on a beach with the trunk washing up on the shore or whatever- those always put me to sleep, too. Instead, through the different meditations she guides you to focus on specific things. One is breathing, one is for the inner body, one is when you're upset, one is while walking, one is on nature. But my favorite is one that focuses on sense perceptions.

You start with your eyes closed, and just focus on what you can hear, without judging it. I still can't believe how much louder the world seems, and how much information my ears are picking up that I'm missing out on, when I truly start to listen like that. Then you open your eyes and while keeping your attention to what you're listening, look around at the objects around you, again without judging. Then she asks you to feel- keeping your eyes open and still listening, she asks you to feel your feet on the ground, then how your body feels sinking down wherever you're sitting, and your hands, and the texture of your clothes. I'd never realized that, once I paid attention, my body is always feeling the textures of whatever I'm wearing!

By this point, you're entirely aware of the present moment and all that sensory information you're mind is picking up. How your body feels, all the sounds and sights around you. It's a pretty fantastic feeling, I think. I do it now even when I'm not following along with her guided meditation. I've had several meditation CD's, but this is the one I'd recommend to anybody.

Guest ColorMySoul

I'm reading a book, calling like.. "76 Ways to Be Psychic" or something like that. It's a big book on everything psychic. lol And they talk about this. They say spend an entire day doing all of them. Wake up and say, "Today, I am going to (smell, taste, feel, listen to, etc) everything" and spend the entire day focusing on that sense. I haven't done it yet, but I often quiet my mind and just listen. I think I'm the only person in the world that can sit for hours and not think of a single thing.

I was at an exboyfriend's house once, and we were laying in the dark. We were laying there for about 20 minutes when he said "Whatcha thinkin?" ..Up until that point, I hadn't realized that my mind was completely blank and I was just enjoying the sound of silence and the sight of darkness. lol Weird..

There is a book by William H. Hewitt called Psychic Developement for Beginners that has a chapter of meditations very similiar to that too. One thing that I thought was helpful was that he added instructions during each "sense" meditation to give the mind/subconscious more focus. "I am training my psychic mind to accurately observe my environment at all times" and also "I command my subconscious mind to always alert me to everything I need to see for my benefit and protection, so that I may function to my highest psychic capacity".

I'm always remembering the importance of having a very straight spine when meditating and relaxing every little muscle in the body :-)