Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ColorMySoul

Drawn to a religion

Guest ColorMySoul

Hello there!

So recently, I've been reading a lot of Pagan books. I actually haven't read any for a few months, so I don't know why this idea suddenly popped into my head. But I read a book once that said people are born already programmed with their religion. Say for example, that I was programmed to be a Pagan before I was born. I was raised Christian. Then I was Atheist. Then stepped into Wicca a bit. Then Agnostic. Then briefly looked into Spiritualism. And now I'm Pagan. So, even though I went through all those different religions, I still ended up where I was programmed to be.

So I found it strange that, when I looked further into my past, I found how much I was really drawn towards Paganism. I always loved the earth. I was always outside, always around the animals. My mom said I used to come home bit and scratched up when I was really little because I just couldn't let the animals alone. Any time I saw an animal hurt or die, I get sick to my stomach. I remember once (I was younger than four, but I don't remember how old I was exactly) my dad ran over a white bunny. It was tiny. I remember it like it was yesterday. I don't know why something so small had such a serious impact on me, but it did. lol Anyway.. Other things, like I've always been drawn to witches and faeries. Even in high school, I slightly experimented with Wicca, made my own spell book, tried to start a coven. It didn't get very far, but I still played with the idea. And I've always loved pentacles (which represents the elements and unity), even before I knew what they mean. In sixth grade, we had to do a project about the Olympians (Greek mythology). I remember loving the project, because I loved Greek mythology even before we started that lesson. So even before sixth grade, I've lived the same beliefs that I have now.

So after looking at all of that, I start to wonder. Was I truly programmed to be this way before birth? Or did I just learn it along the way?

How about you? Did you grow up with your religion? And if you did, what made you stick with it? If you chose your religion, what made you chose it? I'm just curious. :)

Blessings and love,

Beth

So after looking at all of that, I start to wonder. Was I truly programmed to be this way before birth? Or did I just learn it along the way?

How about you? Did you grow up with your religion? And if you did, what made you stick with it? If you chose your religion, what made you chose it? I'm just curious. :)

This is a great question! I am looking forward to answering you but right now I am busy making the Halloween Treat prizes.

I'll be back later... :angel:

P.S. I had to laugh when you posted your "I losed" response just as I was typing "YOU WON"! :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me. :) I was raised.... hmm.... my parent aren't religious, but I went to church myself because I liked Sunday school. So, as a kid, I always did Christian things of my own volition. Most of my diary from when I was six is full of letters to God. And my "prayers" are, to me, the same as my intuition. Christianity has always been my "thing", even though I find others' "things" fascinating, it's what I'm most comfortable with.

Then, as an adult, I moved away. When I went to church again, all of a sudden, the Christians I found were dogmatic and judgemental and more religious that spiritual. I was taught that my own "version" of Christianity had been wrong. I was still more young and naive and vulnerable than I am now, I figured they were right and tried really really really hard to fit into Their box. But I couldn't do it, and I was delighted when my husband came to me years ago to announce that he no longer wanted to attend church for a lot of the same reasons I was uncomfortable.

After we stopped going to church, we explored (or at least read about) every religion we could find. I keep coming back to my childhood understanding of Christianity. (I did feel a strong pull towards wicca, but it's not the same. It felt familiar, not necessarily comfortable. I've always suspected it was a past life thing.) Problem is, it's really hard to find people like me, let alone a church. So, I feel really adrift.

But that's a whole other thread. :) Essentially, the idea of being pre-programmed for a religion feels right to me, though I don't think it would be the same one every time. That wouldn't make sense.

Interesting idea. :)

~ Zan

It's hard for me to explain why I'm Catholic. The churches just feel right for lack of a better explanation. I wasn't going to fit into anyone else's view of my religion; if you want to share your religion, that's fine but don't attempt to convert me. On top of all this, I don't have completely Catholic views. I share some views with Protestants and see nothing wrong with it. I'm also spiritual and not really that stuck in my ways. This could probably be because I was raised Catholic but my parents made a point of taking me into different churches. Heck, up here Newman might be helping a general Christian organization (Intervarsity) with a Thanksgiving dinner in the dorms. With this, we're all being catholic and sharing something nice.

Guest Angel C

I dont know,, I'd like to think that one day there will be a religion, or a movement which includes all religions, and unites the world.

I was brought up atheist really! My parents would say now that they wanted us to make up our own minds, but I cant remember that kind of encouragement at all.

I had a strong belief in God though as a child, but was kind of conditioned not to, when growing up. (Is that unusual?)

I think I'm more Spiritualist than anything else, yet Eastern Religions fascinate me, because of their ancient wisdom, and have a hint of a "flavour" of past lives with me.

EDIT: To answer your title question CMS, I'd say born believing in God!!!

i have never found it important to 'label' what I am. my beliefs are my beliefs and i dont feel i need to be 'part of' a religion or have a name to it.

i dont necessarily believe we are programmed before we are birthed, but that what ever family we are born into is ultimately what we become.. and also with the exception of having our own mind ;)... (which i find many dont.. they remain in their structural belief of what they have been born and bought up to believe.) you will find mostly people are for instance catholic because they have been bought up as one.

all i know and have ever known is that i have always believed in reincarnation/spirits/energy etc etc.. to me it has always been fact'. so i am a spiritual person but i am not part of the 'religion' 'spiritualism'.

i have also never understood when one says 'before i was spiritual i..' and how some think to be spiritual is to 'develop' in certain abilities. i dont feel the need to i supose. i 'just am'. to me its a belief and it doesnt matter what you do with it (im not talking with things like being kind to animals by the way etc! lol)... i mean 'developing' (when i say developing i am talking about things like enhancing abilities/gifts). we are always naturally learning in life.

i am also someone who does not believe in 'marriage' i have really never understood getting a piece of signed paper under law and having a ring and an expensive ceremony and the terms 'husband' 'wife' 'marriage' 'wedding' 'fiance' etc. so when they say that it was every girls dream to get married and have a fairytale wedding.. im not included ! :lol:

i have been with my partner for 8 years and we are fine just the way we are. people find it difficult to understand me. but my point is... that i think many things are 'conditioned' into our lives... beliefs we grew up with... traditions.

i had a lady just say to us the other week, that when we have a baby that 'you know.. when you will be pushing the pram.. it is nice to say to people this is my husband etc' !! so to be married for many is like a status.. an image.

i have also had people say they got married for security ??! did they feel unsecure with their partner before being married ?? i find it fake :ninja: does the paper and the label of husband/wife make it secure ?!

and how some say they expected to feel different after getting married ?!

i believe marriage to be a state of mind :)

how can our love/respect/feelings be proven or what ever by paper ? its our intentions and our love that is what matters most....

Guest ColorMySoul

Alright, so.. I was just updating my Blog and I was hit with the Truth Train.

Almost three years ago, I posted a thread about fears. I had read that your fears was often how you died before. For example, I have a choking fear. Well, Victoria said that, in a past life, I witnessed someone die by choking. So now I'm afraid of it.

In the same instance, I was afraid of drowning. And Victoria had told me that I was in Salem Witch Trials. I was given the drowning test. They held me underwater and, if I drowned, I was innocent and pardoned. If I survived (which was doubtful), I would be accused of a witch and burned at the stake.

SO! In my blog, I was talking about my recent path change. I've noticed that my Pagan lifestyle is shifting more towards Wicca. Everything I believed was a Wicca belief. I love the Sabbats. I love rituals. I love worshipping a Goddess and God. I love(d) everything about Wicca except the spellcasting portion. But I'm leaning towards it more and more. So, now, I believe that I am a Solitary Wiccan instead of a Hellenic Pagan.

Well, today I was doing research to find my Goddess (Nyx). And I remember reading something that said "Once a witch, always a witch." Which means exactly what it says. If you were a witch in a past life, you would always be a witch, in every life to come. SO! If I was really a witch in the Burning Times (and I honestly believe I was because I trust V and because I've always had a strange love for the Burning Times), then that means....

-drumroll-

..that I was programmed before birth to be a witch!! I was a witch during the Salem witch trials and I'm a witch now and the thing said "Once a witch, always a witch" so I'm a witch and I was a witch and it's just a confusing witchy scenario. AHH! Freaky. lol

Blessings and love,

Beth

SO! If I was really a witch in the Burning Times (and I honestly believe I was because I trust V and because I've always had a strange love for the Burning Times), then that means....

Thank you... that means a lot to me. :wub:

you will find mostly people are for instance catholic because they have been bought up as one.

I'm sorry in advance for this one. I'm having an issue with capitals especially since there is an actual difference between catholic and Catholic even though I know what you mean. I'm sorry. :(

(Keiko occasionally runs into this problem.) :(

Guest ColorMySoul
Thank you... that means a lot to me. :wub:

You are very welcome. :wub: Your advice means a lot to me. :)

Its very easy to say that somone is born programed to a religion because there is no possible counter argument, save aiethism(wich could be said to be a religion as well). I belive that we come to a religion because of our enviorment and our own expieriences.

Guest ColorMySoul

But I must pose the arguement that no one in my family is Pagan. No one in my family enjoys nature as much as I do, nor do they believe in psychics or ghosts. My family members are actually hunters. And they are all Christian. So how could I be raised to believe differently than them?

But I must pose the arguement that no one in my family is Pagan. No one in my family enjoys nature as much as I do, nor do they believe in psychics or ghosts. My family members are actually hunters. And they are all Christian. So how could I be raised to believe differently than them?

you kind of miss what i am saying

peoples families are not the only thing that teaches them religion, as proved by other posts in this thread. All I am saying is that you cant argue against being born with a religion since you end up with one eventualy anyway.

All I am saying is that you cant argue against being born with a religion since you end up with one eventualy anyway.

I'm confused by your response, Clooney... could you clarify? :huh:

im confused! :wacko: :lol:

All I am saying is that you cant argue against being born with a religion since you end up with one eventualy anyway.

i also dont understand this bit. i think you can 'argue' against being born with a religion. none of us are born with a religion, i believe we are bought up 'moulded' by what those around us believe (parents etc)... and even then one may be born into a family that is not religious as such but has simple beliefs. some of us just have always lived by our instinct to what we feel is 'true'.

my mother was bought up with the religion: reformed engalist (anglican) and she has faith in what she was bought up believing etc BUT she has always been free spirited/minded and she says herself that her beliefs most resemble that of the bhuddism. i personally dont even understand the concept of 'a religion'.. why must one have a religion? i have faith and hope naturally... and some people think its only a christian thing to have?!

Why? I'm sure we've all asked this question at one time or another. It seems natural for humans to want to understand the reasons why things are the way they are. Often religions provide the answers to many of the whys people ask. In that sense, I think I am programmed to seek meaning. Religion is but one avenue to get that meaning.

I don't subscribe to any religion or easily defined belief system, apart from my own experience. I was taken to church a few times as a kid and even went to Sunday school on occasion. Now, whenever someone tells me or points me to a 'spiritual truth', I ask myself "Why are they doing this?"

You might say I belong to the Church of Why. But that would be silly, because I'd have to ask myself "Why stick myself in that box?"

I was raised christian and eventually discarded it when I concluded that I could not trust men to accurately convey the word of god.

I would say that the answer is that both influences are a factor - I was predisposed to eventually reject the religion I was raised into because my personal, spiritual intellect (i.e., my path) had a greater weight to its influence than my upbringing. But I have retained many christian mannerisms and stigmas as a result of my time spent as a participant in the religion.

when I say born with a religion i am referning to the original post's idea of being born drawn to one.

"Say for example, that I was programmed to be a Pagan before I was born. I was raised Christian. Then I was Atheist. Then stepped into Wicca a bit. Then Agnostic. Then briefly looked into Spiritualism. And now I'm Pagan"

you cant argue against being programmed to a religion before your born since you end up with one anyway.

you cant argue against being programmed to a religion before your born since you end up with one anyway.

Huh what no I don't have no religion.

Guest ColorMySoul

I think he means that it's a worthless arguement, because there's no proof towards it. One can argue being programed with a religion, but you will never know if that's true or not since you always end up somewhere. Some people end up Christian, others Pagan, and others Aethist. But you always end up somewhere with religion, so you can easily say your programed for it, even if you're not.

HOWEVER!!

I have to go back to it. It's just hard for me to ignore the possibilities. Because, ever since I was a child, I've been Pagan. Not religiously, of course, because I didn't know it then. But I've basically been a Pagan all my life. All the things I did, all the things I believed when I was five, I believe now. I know it's an empty argument because it can't be proved one way or the other. But I think it's fun to think about and discuss.

I just have to go back to DG's thread. Are personalities learned or programed? I can't help but go with programed. Because again, why was I born to love nature, even when no one else in my family does? Why was I born to love faeries and Greek mythology and unicorns when no one else in my family does?

I dunno. It just floors me how different I am from the rest of my family. Makes me think there have to be outside factors.

Atheism is not a religion. Please stop referring to it as one. Its not a belief system either, its a lack of one.

Beth, I could make the argument that your love of nature is due to learning, in that you rebelled against your family's beliefs ;)

Guest ColorMySoul

I don't think I knew what rebellion was when I was five. ;)

And being an Aethist definitely is not a religion, but you still ended up somewhere regarding religion.

Nowhere. :)