Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Guest Moopurple

Mooanderings

Guest Moopurple

Have you heard the selfish gene theory? That genes will even put an organism at risk to make them more sexually desirable so that genes get passed on.

An example being the peacock. Male peacocks have a beautiful huge plume of feathers which the female peacocks find desirable, but they're like a bulls-eye to predators.

Yes! Have you heard the selfish gene theory? That genes will even put an organism at risk to make them more sexually desirable so that genes get passed on.

An example being the peacock. Male peacocks have a beautiful huge plume of feathers which the female peacocks find desirable, but they're like a bulls-eye to predators.

Yes. The biologic imperative to reproduce is far superior to the imperative for individual survival.

It can tilt Maslow's hierarchy on its head (especially during breeding season for many animals)!

Maybe the selfish gene brings on selflessness in regards to the whole species! :lol:

Hmm...I don't know if it brings on selflessness in the whole species.

haha. Evolutionary psychology doesn't generally accept Maslow's hierarchy. Or at least the evolutionary psychologists I've learned from.

Life history theory has taken over I think. If you're not familiar, it's about how at different life stages energy is put toward different things. And species to species, it varies. For us, since we need to be alive to bring our offspring to an age where they can survive on their own and it takes a long time, energy is used really differently than that peacock who just needs to splurge energy on reproductive causes (that desirable plume!).

On a different note, seeing the wild cats here really cheers me up. Well, bob cats and outdoor house cats anyway. I think I have have a bit of a panic if I saw a mountain lion. I truly adore animals. They're so lovely.

Very interesting stuff! I really think you are studying a neat subject.

Speaking of wild cats, if I remember correctly from another post of yours, you are in California.

A long time ago, I lived in Monterey. I saw hundreds of bobcat while I was there and a few mountain lion. Loved living there and roaming the St. Lucia Mountains below Big Sur.

Guest Moopurple

Thank you. I am passionate about the subject, so I think it's neat ;)

And yes I'm in California. On the Central Coast at present. :P

Monterey is gorgeous. And the people around this part of the coast are like...friendlier than anything I've experienced before. I am always reminded of it when I go back home.

Though, I actually look forward to when I am back in LA. haha I'm addicted to that sort of lifestyle. Clearly not mellow enough ;)

I am really enjoying reading your posts Moopurple. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us.

When I am feeling 'out of control' emotionally I breathe very deeply and slowly and then run in and drop some Bach rescue remedy on my tongue!

Guest Moopurple

I feel like you've mentioned that before. The Bach remedies. Hmm..I'm gonna do some research on it.

Hmm...Why do my previous posts on this topic seem to be posted by a guest version of me now? Mysterious!

Does it appear that way to anyone else? Weird.

Yes it does!

It is weird I was getting worried too. I was like wait what's happening? Where's that woman going? LOL Glad you noticed it too. Maybe ask admin?

Hmm...Why do my previous posts on this topic seem to be posted by a guest version of me now? Mysterious!

Does it appear that way to anyone else? Weird.

Yes, it does!

Very weird indeed. When Felix comes back we'll ask him. :)

Blechhhhhhhhhhh.

So the past couple weeks have been stressful. I have been a huge grump. And especially this weekend was full of unpleasing things.

But today we had a guest teacher at my dance class. A young man, very cute, a great dancer, and funny. I laughed a lot in class for the first time in a few day. Totally enjoyed it. I am just like a 13 year old girl sometimes :P

The past month has been...wow. Minimal downtime. But I like being busy. Only a week left of the semester and then I finally get vacation! Much needed! So I finally have a little break today.

I'm a little disturbed by recent violence close to me (and in areas I didn't expect it..). It's really unsettling to hear of shootings so close to where I live or where friends live and work.

Also tons of fires. Which is fishy for this time of year. Granted, it's been a dry season already, but we should not be getting these many fires within a month. I think with the exception of some started in campsites by some people who made unwise decisions to leave fires unattended or spill coals in the wrong spot...it looks like arson. I hope it's not, because fire is really destructive in California. We're so packed together here and the cities have vegetation and brush and are in between hills and mountains. It's dangerous. I don't see the benefit in arson. Praying for a cease in natural disasters and violence. Yikes.

The past month has been...wow. Minimal downtime. But I like being busy. Only a week left of the semester and then I finally get vacation! Much needed! So I finally have a little break today.

I'm a little disturbed by recent violence close to me (and in areas I didn't expect it..). It's really unsettling to hear of shootings so close to where I live or where friends live and work.

Also tons of fires. Which is fishy for this time of year. Granted, it's been a dry season already, but we should not be getting these many fires within a month. I think with the exception of some started in campsites by some people who made unwise decisions to leave fires unattended or spill coals in the wrong spot...it looks like arson. I hope it's not, because fire is really destructive in California. We're so packed together here and the cities have vegetation and brush and are in between hills and mountains. It's dangerous. I don't see the benefit in arson. Praying for a cease in natural disasters and violence. Yikes.

Wow! your semesters run really late into the summer it seems. Universities here have been out for a couple of weeks or more.

Hope things settle down in California for you. I remember the fires from when I lived there.

I feel like I'm on the edge of a little emotional explosion. Or perhaps it's what I've been experiencing. It seems like everything is working against me. I really dislike when this happens. I feel so powerless because it's things that could be solved but are out of my hands so I won't know the outcome.

It's frustrating and emotionally depleting. And it seems like it ALL happens at once. Like everything was fine prior to this week and then it's like I am hit with a load of nonsense.

The outcome of things in my life being subject to others actions or lack of responsibility is really getting to me. If this issue isn't resolved, everything I've been working for for the past few years will be put on hold and it will be such a huge blow to me. Ugh.

I feel like I'm on the edge of a little emotional explosion. Or perhaps it's what I've been experiencing. It seems like everything is working against me. I really dislike when this happens. I feel so powerless because it's things that could be solved but are out of my hands so I won't know the outcome.

It's frustrating and emotionally depleting. And it seems like it ALL happens at once. Like everything was fine prior to this week and then it's like I am hit with a load of nonsense.

The outcome of things in my life being subject to others actions or lack of responsibility is really getting to me. If this issue isn't resolved, everything I've been working for for the past few years will be put on hold and it will be such a huge blow to me. Ugh.

I feel like this works itself out within the next few weeks.

I kept seeing "financing" "government" "institution".

Are you waiting for some government or institutional approval for financing for something?

Exactly that. I need tax information so I can get financial aid for my final year of university. But some error has been putting it on hold for months.

I hope it does get resolved. It was just the straw (or brick) that broke the camel's back I guess. My head has been spinning for a few days.

Well...I see you in school this fall...I think it works out fine.

Funny! I see you in a lab coat!

Don't worry. This will all work out fine.

Must be a parent's tax info if you are waiting on it. I think they get it to you and you'll get it worked out by mid August.

...and, I wanted to add:

You have such a remarkably bright future ahead.

No need to worry about what will ultimately be a small thing in a remarkable and impactful life.

Thanks so much. I have calmed down about it after talking to the financial aid office at my school as I still have some time before it should be worried about.

Ooh if I am in some situation that puts me in a lab coat, that'd be awesome. I am hoping to sign up for any research my professors are conducting.

Ooh aromatherapy is quite pleasing. One of the things I got is totally relaxing and I love it. I put it in my car, put it on when I sleep sometimes. Wow. I didn't expect that.

The others are a little bit overwhelming to me. They smell good but then I feel like I'm trapped in a ball of like mint and lavender. :P

I decided on a focus for my PhD. Taking my graduate something or another exam soon. And I'm going to start asking my professors about internships in fall. I'm happy to have decided, but it will really be the internships that will tell whether it's really want I want to spend thousands of dollars on and years studying. ;)

I decided on a focus for my PhD. Taking my graduate something or another exam soon. And I'm going to start asking my professors about internships in fall. I'm happy to have decided, but it will really be the internships that will tell whether it's really want I want to spend thousands of dollars on and years studying

I really feel that this is a great decision for you. (Not that you were asking! :lol: )

...I can see the post doctoral seminar now:

"Pre-Neandic Genetic Mutations and Virological Resistance and Impacts on Sub Saharan Post Modern Cultural Construction" by Dr. Moopurple, Executive Director, National Genetics Institute"

!!!! So I had a fun night. And I am wide awake at 1 am haha...

I want to bring this to PG's attention!!!

From the topic I started a few months ago, Did I make the right decision?:

Ok that makes sense then because I got you would be away and then back. So perhaps you are going away from where you are for a bit this summer and then coming back. Sunny place. Maybe the beach or something like that.

You likely meet this guy in October but I think you will be having a lot of fun this spring and summer. This has the chance to be serious if you want it to be so just relax and take it easy and it will all show up in time.

Also, there is a "J" sounding name around you like, Jeff or George.

Does that name mean anything to you? I dont think its the guy you meet in the fall.

And I get "Mary in the South". Older than you. Maybe a lady named Mary that lives south of where you are that you will see this summer.

Any of this have meaning?

Overall, this all says that all is ok. Don't rush anything. Have fun and study for finals~ :lol:

So, tonight I met a guy. Well, I met him before once, but finally got a chance to really talk to him this time and he is kind of amazing thus far. He lives in a neighboring city. (There is another part of the thread where PG says I meet the dude in Sept but we date in Oct.)

Anyway, the thing that struck me is I went to go see his brother perform tonight and the song was something about Mary from the south!!! and so that thread popped into my head. Then I start talking to him and I'm like "OH MY GOSH"

Haha...so I am not assuming that anything will necessarily come out of this, but we both seem to be interested in one another. I'm def not anxious for another relationship already. I just thought this was an incredible coincidence and will have an update if it goes as PG predicted.

Excellent! Looks like a good year ahead for you!

Chris or Christian and Sean are names that show up around you at the moment.

Oh, you've got to start getting ready to apply for a postgraduate program.

I get the feeling you may go to another university for postgrad.

Iowa keeps showing up but I dont know if a California girl would go there or not! :lol: :lol:

I think that some school you havent thought of will have a particular program and advising professor that is a perfect fit for you.

Any "white lab coat" work that you are doing this semester or next?

Being that you are Moopurple, I always see you wearing a purple sweater under a white lab coat! Funny! :lol:

I guess I made quite the impression upon this guy. My friend said he gushed during the whole car ride home haha.

Edit: BTW I think the sisterly older friend mentioned in that same topic could be my friend who had me come with her to the show. And introduced me and the guy initially!

PG, I don't know about Iowa. That sounds cold and...not next to any oceans ;) But I wouldn't skip out on an amazing opportunity academically just because the environment isn't optimal. But we'll see! I've been considering Vancouver actually.

I'm trying to get some professor at my current school to take me on for research or lab work this upcoming semester, I just haven't found anything that pertains to my major yet. Waiting, anxiously.

And of course my sweater will be purple! :P Such as half of my closet haha