Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Guest Moopurple

Mooanderings

Wanted to recommend, in a very psychic sort of way, if you get my drift, that you look through the academic literature in the area that you are most interested for published academic papers, but particularly, working papers, on the subject area. You know, using JSTOR or SSRN to do the search or other sources.

You may discover something....well,....useful. Reach out to the researcher and start a conversation........could lead to something very divinely inspired.....

I want to refer you back to what I wrote above. The point of that being, you've yet to discover what you really, really want to do....you'll find it though!

humm...It is very difficult for me to tell what is just me jumping to conclusions vs a prediction or intuitive feeling. Usually I feel anxious about both, but they are different levels of anxious. However, the periods in between makes it hard for me to tell.

So, the problem is should I heed the warnings? In some cases, the event or news will be unavoidable. In others, I can intercept it and change the outcome or lessen the blow to myself. I debate whether I should do that.

I suppose this will always remain a confusing thing for me.

Have you considered taking a break after undergrad studies before returning for a grad degree? If you are unsure of what you want to do, perhaps it is best to do more exploring. It is actually recommended in most unis and in most programs.

Sooo I was reading a blog post about essential oils, as I've taken interest in using them as natural remedies over the past few months. Scent is a very powerful sense so of course it's going to play a big part of brain chemistry...helping to release calming or happy chemicals such as serotonin or dopamine. But also, I was thinking about how myrrh has become my skin miracle drug. I have eczema that recently surfaced, as triggered by allergies or something, and my doctor gave me some cortisol lotion to use when it got really bad. Well, the cortisol made my elbow stiff and sore and it would make popping noises so I stopped and did some research and found that myrrh is supposed to be used to soften skin. and viola...within a few days of using it, the eczema I've been struggling to manage started clearing up. Now i just use it whenever I get a breakout and it relieves it within days. They used to last weeks. And the scent is so pleasing to me. I use it on my face too and the stress acne I started getting when I was 20 is now finally clearing up regardless of my stress levels.

So, to link these ideas to what got me so excited. Haha...Humans use a lot of drugs. And this should have been obvious to me before, but somehow I didn't make the connection that natural remedies are just another drug. BUT an amazing substitution to synthesized ones. The artificially synthesized drugs create such a high concentration that our body can either react to it as if it's a foreign threat (drug interactions such as fever, etc. etc.) or it can adapt to it (tolerance) and shut down the natural synthesis of those chemicals within our body. So we become reliant on these things and experience withdrawal and have to ween off of them in order to allow the body to get the signal to kick-start production again because our outside environment is no longer providing them. So, why is there so little research on the actual effects of chemicals synthesized in plants? And usage of those forms? Pharmaceutical companies are gung-ho on funding research for artificial and cheap synthesis of drugs that pack a more powerful punch because they can't be found in basic, cheap forms. They can make some serious money off of those who are reliant on powerful artificial forms of drugs. Of course, it's not all awful. I'm thankful for certain medications, but we are going overboard and starting to shut down basic functions. Like, if you suddenly stop antidepressants your body is no longer getting artificial signals to produce serotonin or whatever so the production is halted or decreased significantly until your body realizes again that...hey...the environment is no longer providing this! But if someone struggling with depression suddenly decreases their dosage, it can have detrimental effects. That's scary. We shouldn't be putting that in our bodies. Caffeine acts as a powerful antidepressant, and while addictive, it does not have the same risks. There are others, I'm sure, but caffeine seems to be leading in that realm as far as I know.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995283/

This was cool. Just a tiny research piece on chamomile, but they tested the actual effects of the drug. In comparison to artificial drugs, like xanax and the like, research is almost nonexistent so it's considered a folk remedy rather than an actual sedative. Also, it's not the same instant and measurable effect as some powerful sedative or anti-anxiety meds.

Also has anti-inflammatory and other properties. Similar to other drugs, it has many purposes. However, chamomile will probably not cause ill-effects unless you're allergic to pollen or certain plant proteins. And...to me, that's just awesome.

And I totally see the irony in being impressed with what plants can do for us. But I think current advances in medicine made me sort of blind to the fact that these chemicals synthesized for medications are not just pulled out of thin air, but simply lab synthesized or enhanced versions of chemicals naturally occurring. So, why have we branched away from it so much? We're destroying our bodies.

I've seen a huge improvement in my skin after I started using OIL instead of oil-free lotions. Less acne breakouts. Who would have thought? Not I. It's totally counter intuitive to put oil on already oily skin. But then I realized that the oil production is happening because of the same sort of reason that our body stops producing chemicals when we take some drugs. This is just the reverse case. I was depriving my skin of oil by using harsh cleansers so as a result my body just pumped up on oil production and caused breakouts.

So, I am a huge proponent of research with natural solutions on humans. These are things we're already consuming so it's not like a lab test from scratch. I am especially fascinated with plants that have beneficial poisons. Marijuana, mainly. But also there seems to be a link between hallucinogenic fungi and brain recalibration. That would be SO AWESOME to research, though I do have a personal opposition to using psychedelics for recreation. But heck...the stoned ape theory suggests that human usage of drugs may have contributed to our creative thinking. It's not far fetched to me at all. Cave paintings look similar to art done by those on LSD at times. haha. Cannot be all that bad.

I would love to learn more about biochemistry. I have only been introduced to it in botany classes. I am considering taking some chemistry courses once I finish at my university, before I move on to grad school, so I can continue with more biology-focused classes. I really don't want to go into anything medical. But doing research on natural drugs, especially those getting a sudden new life (marijuana) would be really exciting to me. It's promising to be a pretty big thing if the stigma is removed and funding goes forward. I am going to take a look at JSTOR in a bit to see what is going on. Maybe a step forward toward what I want to do!

Looking at the most basic plants would be interesting to me. But that is totally not getting funding and I'm not going to put effort toward a field that will leave me in massive debt with no possible funding.

I have a background in bio, psychology, and anthropology. Evolutionary psychologists seem to be fascinated with drug usage...haha. I am going to do some research on what is going on in the field of natural remedies in an actual science setting...Not just some random bloggers.

Side rant.

I've had enough with social sciences. The political correctness is taking away from the "science" part of the field. Even the human variation classes have this agenda emphasizing equality. Uh...yeah...biology should not be affecting one's moral stances. I can still believe in equality among all phenotypic groups regardless of whether we have adapted to different environments and conditions. We are not all created with the same traits, but we can still be treated as equals, right?

It's...soo...infuriating! Recognizing differences is not the same as prejudice...though there was a guy in a recent class of mine really fixated on race and the fact that his might just be...ahh, a tad bit better. Asking about mental differences and the like. But he also tried to argue to one of my professors that since women and men are created to perform different tasks, women really should stay in the realm of childcare and cooking. I wanted to throw my book at his head. So I guess that is why we have to inject the politically correct into biology. For the individuals who are trying to use it to support their disagreeable beliefs.

As you briefly mentioned, pharmaceutical companies don't do research on natural remedies because they can and DO make more money with the stuff they come up in the labs. They would lose money if society knew about natural remedies. It's very political. Just like how researchers are trying to come up cures for diseases but at the same time, some of it may be blocked. If there were cures for a lot of diseases, the medical industry would collapse. Doctors would lose their jobs and pharmaceutical companies would lose a ton of money.

I don't really think doctors would be out of a job. I think doctors serve an important function. Not everything can be solved with a natural remedy, and even those things that can may not be properly diagnosed without a medical professional.

I had this dream last night that I quite enjoyed. I meant to write it when I woke up, but the whole day has been really busy. But here is what I remember.

So, I was outside on the garden swing with my mom, except the garden swing was kind of like...a decent sized rectangular balcony attached to chains so it swung. It wasn't scary at all, actually felt very safe and nice.

And there was a moose in the yard. So we were watching that moose and my sister comes out and I yell "watch out for the moose" but somehow she didn't see it and walks right into it, and then to the swing. So, I was afraid the moose was angered and would charge the swing. At this point the moose started to transform into a bison. And comes up to the swing and just falls over. So, I am rather startled as I thought it was going to attack us, but instead just flops over so now I assume it died suddenly. But then it changes into a stag, gets up, and runs off into the forest.

So, I go tell my friends that I saw a shape shifter! Like, I've heard of them before but didn't think they were real, now I've seen one! But of course, they kind of question my sanity and ask if I am sure of what I saw.

Haha I was bummed to wake up. Seeing a shape shifter actually change shapes (and not something freaky like a human to a lizard) would be amazing. Though I still don't really believe they exist in reality. Hmm...

But I woke up and my first thought was "that was a sign...something good is coming. Or your intuition is on target" and hit snooze and passed out again. :P So...we will see.

What on earth do a moose, bison, and stag symbolize?

Those are all very fortunate symbols.

I feel that you will have a "lucky" break before Christmas.

There is some destiny in all of this, so dont ignore it.

Very strong symbols in the moose, bison and stag and very balanced.

You may be put on a new path but I would say that it is your true path.

Very likely that you discover what to do with your advanced studies.

You are about to be swept into a great adventure!

Ooh I look forward to it! :)

This week has thus far been really good. I feel like I'm getting my act together with this semester and not procrastinating. Everything is staying on schedule academically. Also other good news in my personal life. so, yay. Gotta keep my work ethic up.

I am concerned about the battery as well. I tried to start it up again and it didn't start up right at first until I pressed on the gas. The car is automatic, so it's even more confusing to me.

I am concerned about the battery as well. I tried to start it up again and it didn't start up right at first until I pressed on the gas. The car is automatic, so it's even more confusing to me.

Did it turn over (seem like it was cranking) or did you get nothing when you turned the key?

Turns over. It started up fine when I tried again.

If it attempts to turn over then its not likely your battery.

Since you pressed the gas and then it started, it makes me think that its something to do with the fuel injection or fuel filter or starter.

Likely a tune up plus looking at the above things could do the trick.

If it does nothing when you turn the key or drags a bit, then, I would look at battery or battery cables and then to the electronics.

Yes, thus far the places have either had horrible reviews or can't look at my car until Monday. Or wanted over 100 dollars just to look at the problem. So..ehhh I am trying.

I found an excellent mechanic who looked at it and told me I should be fine, but they will clean up the whole fuel system or something like that (the car terms kind of flew over my head) and it should solve the problem.

I'm trying to figure out what this is. There is a guy I'm sort of friends with (he's really close with my other friend) who totally overwhelms me. It's really rare that a person has that effect in this way. I usually only experience it when I have a serious crush on someone, but I really don't with him. Something about him overwhelms me. I have no idea how to describe it otherwise.

And I don't get any negative feelings about him. I like when we hang out with him. And I've been close friends with some pretty kooky characters. It's not the person I'm concerned about here, but the feeling. It is really strange to me and annoying that I can't put my finger on what is going on.

More bleeblah.

I am trying still to just let go of control over things I cannot influence. Accomplishing set goals, but letting everything else come to me. It's difficult to NOT be anxious about what I need to do. But that unrelenting feeling that I need to do something but have no idea what is slowly getting less bothersome because I keep telling myself to just let up control.

I don't really know when I want what is good for me, and I often want what is totally lacking benefit. So seeking out things I have no idea I want is...difficult?

My mind is a tornado lately.

Continuing strangeness. Something is going on that I am not being let it on. Perhaps because others are not fully sure about what is going on. That bothers me, but I don't think it's anything super big. Just ...who knows. Maybe a minor obstacle.