Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DanielWoodUK

Dream Consciousness

Do you think it's possible to meet friends in a dream consciousness?

I've always pondered this but now I get a chance to hear other open-minded people's views on the subject matter. Do we communicate with others through our dreams or are our dreams a pure form of subconscious thinking and analyzing?

I strongly believe that if we harness the potential of dreams, we can make them so much more than they are. If we can fully understand and comprehend them and what they are, we can walk into "their world" and become it. Therefore, they have boundless potential when used rightly. There are dream exercises you can practice to begin lucid dreaming or OBE's whereupon you can learn to actually control your dreams. Visit anyone you want. Like a sleeping meditation.

PS: Sometimes I wake up from a long night of vivid dreaming feeling exhausted, as if my real self has been out all night doing the things I've dreamed about. Sometimes I even believe that my spirit truly was there...

Guest charless

I strongly believe that if we harness the potential of dreams, we can make them so much more than they are. If we can fully understand and comprehend them and what they are, we can walk into "their world" and become it. Therefore, they have boundless potential when used rightly. There are dream exercises you can practice to begin lucid dreaming or OBE's whereupon you can learn to actually control your dreams. Visit anyone you want. Like a sleeping meditation.

PS: Sometimes I wake up from a long night of vivid dreaming feeling exhausted, as if my real self has been out all night doing the things I've dreamed about. Sometimes I even believe that my spirit truly was there...

I think your spirit truly was there and that dreams are really an awareness of other layers of existence where we exist just as certainly (or uncertainly!) as we exist here.

I believe it's possible. Strangely enough I never thought of it in this manner until you mentioned it Daniel. I've been writing in a journal since I was 14yrs old and at one point I named my journal because I thought it was awkward to talk to 'journal.' It wasn't until many years later in college that I had a dream where I was in my chemistry class that just finished and I look over at the exit and saw that there was someone there I recognized and longed to see. I walked over with the feeling of "oh my god, I can't believe you're here. Um.. Hi" I gave him a hug and I woke up not wanting to leave the embrace, feeling peaceful & content. It wasn't until I woke up that I felt I knew who it was and at the time I was sure it was my journal. Now a days I feel that there are some similar aspects to my counselors (similar to spirit guides) who would show up a couple years later...

On another note I have woken up from dreams where I felt I was having a conversation with someone. The only pattern I've found is that when I have spent a lot of time in deep conversations with members here there seems to be a connection that goes past my waking hours. On the other hand they have occurred when I'm having a moment of mental stress, or indecision. I usually find them to be really bizarre because I feel like I just had some deep philosophical conversation with someone and wake up not really knowing what exactly it was about.

Charless - :) Well said.

Chiili- That is very interesting...so, your journal took on a definite human form? I've never heard of that happening with an object in a dream. Very neat.

Feeorin it's really bizarre. I think it may have been a matter of the fact that I found my journal to be so receptive and accepting of me something of which is hard to in others. When it comes to my guides, the difference is that not only do that accept me but they're willing to call me on my bs and help me out in a matter that is good for all concerned. Both interactions can be a humbling yet profound experience.

Guest charless

Feeorin it's really bizarre. I think it may have been a matter of the fact that I found my journal to be so receptive and accepting of me something of which is hard to in others. When it comes to my guides, the difference is that not only do that accept me but they're willing to call me on my bs and help me out in a matter that is good for all concerned. Both interactions can be a humbling yet profound experience.

This is a very interesting experience and perception. You created a being or a form of awareness. I suppose this shouldn't seem so alien to us because we're happy to accept that we can create new life. I've sometimes wondered what happens to the characters I create in stories. Do I dictate their fate or do they write their own stories? In the case of the Journal it assumed an independent existence. It was an expression of you but it was not you. Amazing, truly amazing and eye-opening. Thank you so much for that.

You're welcome :)

Honestly, its almost like another form of yourself. The self without the ego. Your reason and your logic embodied in a spiritual form. Perhaps, subconsciously, the journal represents this aspect of yourself. So, in essence, your journal is you...just another side. Part of YOU makes the journal receptive and accepting. It is a possibility that you see yourself in the journal or as the journal and dream of embracing the "you" you see in it.

Do you think it's possible to meet friends in a dream consciousness?

I've always pondered this but now I get a chance to hear other open-minded people's views on the subject matter. Do we communicate with others through our dreams or are our dreams a pure form of subconscious thinking and analyzing?

Hi Daniel,

I'm not a regular but enjoy dropping by the forum from time to time. My top #1 gift is my dream life, if you want to call it that.

My answer is that it is absolutely possible...not only that but I've done it and do it on a regular basis. However, I think your friends must be open to it as well, but even still it can be done. Also I've met a few people in my dreams before actually meeting them.

I think it is all about how you define dreams...like do you leave your body when you sleep, and I don't know if that really counts as a dream.

Have you explored any theories on conciousness? That can be pretty mind bending, and most particularly quantum conciousness (everything has conciousness, right down to the smallest measureable particle-Quantum Entanglement & Nonlocality)...it could help to explain your question...however, there are 10 more questions to every answer...a regular trip down the old rabbit hole.

It's also fairly well known that several governments experimented with psychic assasination and some of this was done with dream work. I didn't see the movie "Men Who Stare At Goats" but I understand it was based on a true story. So apparently these governments believed that you could enter/exit anothers dream.

Guest charless
My answer is that it is absolutely possible...not only that but I've done it and do it on a regular basis. However, I think your friends must be open to it as well, but even still it can be done. Also I've met a few people in my dreams before actually meeting them.

I think it is all about how you define dreams...like do you leave your body when you sleep, and I don't know if that really counts as a dream.

This is fascinating stuff. Do you think this similar to what some people call the astral plane, I mean when you meet friends, or is something else going on? I know this isn't a very well formulated question but I'm interested to know how you interpret this experience.

I would say yes, with one caveat: Are you meeting a friend in a dream, or dreaming of meeting a friend?

It can be very difficult to tell with things like this. A good way to help figure it out, particularly if you have someone who are close to who is also curious about this, is to keep independent dream journals and compare them once a month, looking for similarities!

Just asking them about it can lead to problems with hindsight bias. That is, both of you wanting to discover something this amazing, so much, that you're willing to tweak the details a bit to make your friend (and yourself) happy. Everybody does stuff like this. I do it. Very few people are willing to admit to it, even to themselves. A journal is great for this because you can't tweak the details afterwards. Either there's a correlation between the dreams you both remember, suggesting a meeting, or there isn't.

This is fascinating stuff. Do you think this similar to what some people call the astral plane, I mean when you meet friends, or is something else going on? I know this isn't a very well formulated question but I'm interested to know how you interpret this experience.

That's exactly how I interpret my experience. Many years ago I started experiencing these weird sort of dreams where I would go to this place, and in one dream that really stood out, I was learning how to shoot this colored light energy from my fingertips to form temples to meditate in and absorb the kind of energy I desired. In the dream I was taught this by a wizard.

I went to a metaphysical store with a friend and was looking at some greeting cards and saw a whole series of cards entitled "The Astro Plane". This was exactly what I had seen in my dreams right down to the light energy temples. It was then that I realized that not only had I been going there but my "conciousness/spirit" had been leaving my body.

That's been over 20 years ago, and it really opened up so much for me, but like most things it's also a double edged sword. However, the possiblities of what you can do is limitless. Things like time travel, and entering animals and experiencing what it feels like to fly like an eagle, or what it means to be a whale. There are also numerous other dimensions, and encounters with spirit guides and the ancients. Like I said, it opened up a lot for me.

I would encourage anyone who has the desire and thinks they are capable of leaving their body to do it. And I'm somewhat inclined to think this all has something to do with genetics and the pineal gland as well, as my entire family seems to exhibit very strong "dream" lives.

Most recently, I had a dream where my son and I traveled to some mountains with the goal of finding white wolves, which we did. And in the dream we played with the wolves in the snow. My understanding is that white wolves carry the energy of both protection and shamanism. So I would hope at some level the spirit of my son was there with me.

Guest charless

Big Island Dreamer - thanks very much for the info. The variety of experiences and perceptions (just in this single short thread!)is very thought provoking. Variety though is the spice of life as exhibited in music, art, literature, ie those things we readily accept as our own creations.

Honestly, its almost like another form of yourself. The self without the ego. Your reason and your logic embodied in a spiritual form. Perhaps, subconsciously, the journal represents this aspect of yourself. So, in essence, your journal is you...just another side. Part of YOU makes the journal receptive and accepting. It is a possibility that you see yourself in the journal or as the journal and dream of embracing the "you" you see in it.

Feeorin, thanks for taking the time for this. I think... You're right. I actually went back to my journal to see when it happened and what I wrote. It was March 10th, 2005. I had even written "...it was like coming home." I remember reading once about taping into your own personal frequency and how it feels like home. It feels Right. It was less than a year before I finally after much unnecessary contemplation I decided to do something that had eventually lead to where I am today in terms of my spirituality and just self acceptance and acknowledgment... the very next day I had written in my journal a quote I had posted in my signature for a long long time "Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." by Bruce Lee. I realized then that I had to do more. Or as I ended that last entry "Sometimes it's not a matter of thinking and planning and analyzing how to do something. It's just doing it. Fine. Let's Rock." Thanks for the reminder Feeorin :)

I would say yes, with one caveat: Are you meeting a friend in a dream, or dreaming of meeting a friend?

It can be very difficult to tell with things like this. A good way to help figure it out, particularly if you have someone who are close to who is also curious about this, is to keep independent dream journals and compare them once a month, looking for similarities!

Just asking them about it can lead to problems with hindsight bias. That is, both of you wanting to discover something this amazing, so much, that you're willing to tweak the details a bit to make your friend (and yourself) happy. Everybody does stuff like this. I do it. Very few people are willing to admit to it, even to themselves. A journal is great for this because you can't tweak the details afterwards. Either there's a correlation between the dreams you both remember, suggesting a meeting, or there isn't.

I would love to take someone up on this lil experiment LOL I have some time and would be sooo curious as to whether this would work =D And if anything, it would be cool if someone acted as the 'Journal' we give them our entry and wouldn't have to worry about any biases or some complicated way of posting it without any tweaks being involved. Then after say a week we see if there has been any correlation. Dude I'd totally do it! :D

Edited by Chiili

Great thread! Anyone have any tips about how to start lucid dreaming? I would really love to do conscious astral traveling someday, and have just started to read and learn all about it on Robert Bruce's site http://www.astraldynamics.com/home/

but I would like to start with lucid dreaming first.

Guest Dot

Tips on lucid dreaming... well, I've tried using methods but for some reason I ended up lucid dreaming when I wasn't using these methods. Odd, huh? Anyway, some methods are described on this website: http://www.dreamviews.com/

Getting really good at remembering dreams is the first step, though. Dream diaries are also suggested.

Tips on lucid dreaming... well, I've tried using methods but for some reason I ended up lucid dreaming when I wasn't using these methods. Odd, huh? Anyway, some methods are described on this website: http://www.dreamviews.com/

Getting really good at remembering dreams is the first step, though. Dream diaries are also suggested.

Thank you Dot, I'll check it out.

Great thread! Anyone have any tips about how to start lucid dreaming? I would really love to do conscious astral traveling someday, and have just started to read and learn all about it on Robert Bruce's site http://www.astraldynamics.com/home/

but I would like to start with lucid dreaming first.

Tarryn, for someone that the lucid dreaming and OBE thing just kind of happened to without really trying, I can't give you a step by step "how to". But my advice is to examine what your belief system is regarding the physical world, such as how attached are you to it and do you believe that this is the only reality? Secondly, what do you believe about your conciousness/soul/spirit? Do you believe that your spirit can be separated and exist outside of the body?

Prior to having these astral/lucid experiences, I practiced transcendental meditation and self hypnosis (I learned this at one point to control physical pain).

I have read about people who have been abused as children who report leaving their bodies and watching the abuse from above themselves. In psychology, it's referred to as dissociation. As an adult survivor, maybe this is something I learned how to do as a protective measure way back when. I don't know. But, I've always wanted to talk to other adult survivors to find out if they were more prone to doing the lucid/astral projection thing.

Tarryn, for someone that the lucid dreaming and OBE thing just kind of happened to without really trying, I can't give you a step by step "how to". But my advice is to examine what your belief system is regarding the physical world, such as how attached are you to it and do you believe that this is the only reality? Secondly, what do you believe about your conciousness/soul/spirit? Do you believe that your spirit can be separated and exist outside of the body?

Prior to having these astral/lucid experiences, I practiced transcendental meditation and self hypnosis (I learned this at one point to control physical pain).

I have read about people who have been abused as children who report leaving their bodies and watching the abuse from above themselves. In psychology, it's referred to as dissociation. As an adult survivor, maybe this is something I learned how to do as a protective measure way back when. I don't know. But, I've always wanted to talk to other adult survivors to find out if they were more prone to doing the lucid/astral projection thing.

Thanks Big Island Dreamer. I have to say I'm not too attached to the physical - meaning I can see it for what it is - I believe it to be as much of an illusion as a dream. I also do believe you can exist outside of the physical body as well as inside it at the same time. That said I need to experience it for myself...