Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Silvio

Sleep Paralysis?

Has anyone ever had this?

It is where your whole body becomes paralysed and you become mute,just as you are trying to sleep.

I had one a while ago, I hallucinated and life felt very dreamlike. I felt a dark presence in my room and while lying on my side, a pale white face appeared outside of my window. To the side of the face, I saw a stream of white mist, but the most peculiar thing is that while in sleep paralysis, it is believed that you can not move, I was able to wave at the face and speak to it (my voice was very low and muffled though) and as it gradually disappeared, I felt my soul being "pushed" back into my body and everything was reverted again. I'm not prescribed on any medication, nor did I intake any alcohol, so it was eerie. Is this psychic related in anyway? If it is anyone know why this happened?

Guest Ambthepro

I used to have this happen to me about 8 years ago, It really scared me. I was afraid to go to sleep at one point, it would happen everynight. I would be able to see around me, but my body wasn't able to move and it would be vibrating. It kind of hurt.. I remember trying to scream, but nothing would come out. I would see my arms, and tryed to pick them up.. nothing would happen. I didn't see anything odd, but I did FEEL an aweful negative energy. It's the type of energy I get right after coming out of a nightmare.. it's just evil. Sleep paralysis is connected with having an Out of Body Experience. I believe it's the stage where you are supposed to "lift" yourself out of the body. I was to young at the time and didn't know what was going on, but if it were to happen again.. I would try and astral project :).

I remember having this happen to me a lot when I was in high school. One day when I was staying home I was watching the Montel Williams show and Sylvia Browne was being featured and she mentioned the sleep paralysis. She asked the audience if they've ever felt it and I would say 80% raised their hands. She explained that it's because something was trying to enter their body and that their will and energy was too strong to let anything enter it. I think she even went so far as to say demon :unsure:

Flash forward 10+ years and I remember having something similar except it felt like I was shaking this time around and as always it freaked me out but as I had joined this forum I asked about it and a member (i think it was Angel C) told me about hypnogogic states and directed me to the wiki site on Hypnagogia. This is what it says in terms of sleep paralysis:

Humming, roaring, hissing, rushing and buzzing noises are frequent in conjunction with sleep paralysis (SP). This happens when the REM atonia sets in sooner than usual, before the person is fully asleep, or persists longer than usual, after the person has (in other respects) fully awoken.[17] SP is reportedly very frequent among narcoleptics. It occurs frequently in about 6% of the rest of the population, and occurs occasionally in 60%.[28] In surveys from Canada, China, England, Japan and Nigeria, 20 to 60% of individuals reported having experienced SP at least once in their lifetime.[29][30] The paralysis itself is frequently accompanied by additional phenomena. Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric "tingles" or "vibrations", imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings.[29][31] SP has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences and shadow people hauntings

I try not to take it as a negative thing anymore because

1) it'll happen

2) being that scared is not fun

3) I feel the paralysis is more for keeping your body safe from thrashing about and hurting yourself or whatever from your dreams while your mind & body 'reconnect.' For all we know it could be the adult version of night terrors except unlike children who wake up screaming & thrashing and can't remember why we wake up thinking WTF

4) some of the great minds have found those moments to be truly inspirational and

5) being fearful will only make it worse and it's better to just think positive thoughts, think of God in your presence or repeat a prayer to get over it

Amber, yeah I can totally see how astral projection would be the logical conclusion from that state! :D

Edited by Chiili

That happened to me once and frightened the life out of me. I was dozing in the armchair,woke up and couldn't open my eyes or move.

I really hope it never happens again.

i was petrified!

It happened to me couple of times..like you are awake(your mind is awake) but tryng to open your eyes and get up but you can't. At the same time you know what is happening around you..like if there is your sister or husband in the room..in real. It is really scaring beacuse you are fighting within yourself to open your eyes.

Guest Ambthepro

Oh yea I also forgot, I found out a good way to get out of that state. It's quite simple :) I would just close my eyes, and then try and dream.. it would either turn into a lucid dream, or sometimes I could wake myself up, but only after closing my eyes and relaxing.

In this state, also known as a hypnogogic trance, it is common for the partial-dreamer to open their eyes, listen to the room, and generally perceive their surroundings with the mental configurations normally reserved for observing created environments, i.e.; dreams.

I find this absolutely fascinating because the method the brain uses to gather and interpret information in a dream state is subtly different from how it operates in our waking lives. Perception can tend to be afocal, that is, not singularly focused on any one thing, and peripheral information is sometimes more clear, allowing for clustered thoughts working fuzzily in tandem, rather than a single line of thinking. Truth is, I don't believe most human beings have simply one train of thought going at one time. Most of our going thoughts are invisible, subconscious processes, working behind the curtain, as it were. I often notice that I am dreaming when I am awake, by taking the time to observe and explore areas of my psyche that I know are generally located beneath my primary thought processes, in terms of priority and visibility, to the conscious mind. Hypnagogia such as what is experienced during sleep paralysis has a wonderful way of unifying two areas of the psyche that are normally kept apart - and so vivid hallucinations are common, because self-generated (dream imagery) or partially self-generated (visual or audible interpretations of external psychic forces) sensory images that would normally be invisible to a person's conscious process, or reserved for pure dreams, are perceived as if they were information taken directly from the senses.

For example, if a person finds the hypnagogic experience terrifying, the part of the mind that regulates and interprets terror will interact with the part of the mind that presents sensory information to the individual's consciousness; this generates the nightmare images commonly reported in the hypnagogic experience. In essence, one sees what one imagines with less or none of the normal filtration that lets us know what our eyes our seeing and what our brain is seeing. This is not at all unlike the effect of some hallucinogens. But even more mysterious (and useful) is that this potentially improves conscious awareness of psychic forces, because it allows for the subconscious mind to visually depict a non-physical force, for example, a spirit, in a way that the brain deems appropriate, using the full authority of our sensory nervous system. All without any external dissociative or abnormal chemical influence!

Differentiating between the two potential sources of imagery that I've described is pretty goddamn hard, but being wise never was easy.

I encourage anyone who finds themselves in a hypnagogic experience, to try to relax and explore it. This can be difficult, because consciousness is not what it normally is in this state. It interprets emotional content differently too! Terror is more primal; a pressing imperative, and not something that can be thought about easily.

My latest fascination with this particular subject is an odd one. We've all had dreams that seemed to stretch on for hours, and woken up suddenly to discover that only twenty minutes had passed. Can a similar distortion in a hypnagogic trance enable a person to think and perceive the world at a different relative rate, by using a dreaming consciousness to perceive the movement of the world?

Hypnagogia such as what is experienced during sleep paralysis has a wonderful way of unifying two areas of the psyche that are normally kept apart - and so vivid hallucinations are common, because self-generated (dream imagery) or partially self-generated (visual or audible interpretations of external psychic forces) sensory images that would normally be invisible to a person's conscious process, or reserved for pure dreams, are perceived as if they were information taken directly from the senses.

In essence, one sees what one images with less or none of the normal filtration that lets us know what our eyes our seeing and what our brain is seeing. This is not at all unlike the effect of some hallucinogens. But even more mysterious (and useful) is that this potentially improves conscious awareness of psychic forces, because it allows for the subconscious mind to visually depict a non-physical force, for example, a spirit, in a way that the brain deems appropriate, using the full authority of our sensory nervous system. All without any external dissociative or abnormal chemical influence!

Differentiating between the two potential sources of imagery that I've described is pretty goddamn hard, but being wise never was easy.

I encourage anyone who finds themselves in a hypnagogic experience, to try to relax and explore it. This can be difficult, because consciousness is not what it normally is in this state. It interprets emotional content differently too! Terror is more primal; a pressing imperative, and not something that can be thought about easily.

My latest fascination with this particular subject is an odd one. We've all had dreams that seemed to stretch on for hours, and woken up suddenly to discover that only twenty minutes had passed. Can a similar distortion in a hypnagogic trance enable a person to think and perceive the world at a different relative rate, by using a dreaming consciousness to perceive the movement of the world?

I have not had a hypnogogia for quite some time, but now if it happens, between what you and Amber said, I am much more curious to experience and delve a little deeper as to what may happen if I allow myself to experience and explore such a state...

As for time and movement, my first thought gets a bit psychedelic with things either slowing down or zipping by. Are you thinking more along the lines of time travel/premonition?

This happens to me all the time, and has been happening since I was a child. It use to really scare the crap out of me, because I didn't know what was going on. It only happens when I am extremely relax and about to fall asleep. Suddenly I will hear a loud buzzing noise or what sounds like am radio frequencies.

In the past few years, I have heard what sounds like groups of people talking all at once (while still hearing the loud buzzing) like maybe they are at a convention or park or something. It is a large group of people. Naturally I found this to be really scary. I don't think anything is wrong with me, but the people talking scared me enough to try and force myself awake.

Eventually while having this sleep paralysis with the buzzing in my ears, and the people talking, it began to dwindle down to only a few people talking, and I was more curious than scared. I think being more curious pushed the fear aside, and I kind of let myself fall into this buzzing sound, and when I was no longer feeling fear, I heard someone call out my name. They also said in a sort of surprised voice "Kay, you can hear me?" but then the fear set in again and I was waking up due to the fear. I shouldn't really say "waking up" because I am fully aware of this happening. It feels like I am going to sleep, but still fully aware of the experience.

A few more times this happened to me. I would start to fall asleep, hear the buzzing sound, and hear someone trying to contact me. It didn't feel like something evil. The voice of this person is always nice, and they speak my name. For some reason I always end up getting scared or freaked out, and try to force myself to wake up.

I hope nobody thinks my story is weird, but it's true, and I honestly feel imo that when I experience this sleep paralysis while hearing that loud buzzing sound, that maybe my spirit guide or family who have passed is trying to contact me while in a relaxed state of mind. Unfortunately after over 30 years of this happening to me, I am just now not feeling as fearful as I use to. Some fear is still there, so I believe I am blocking some sort of communication.

I've never experienced it myself and I've never wanted to. You guys make it sound really awesome,though.

It is where your whole body becomes paralysed and you become mute,just as you are trying to sleep.

I had one a while ago, I hallucinated and life felt very dreamlike. I felt a dark presence in my room and while lying on my side, a pale white face appeared outside of my window. To the side of the face, I saw a stream of white mist, but the most peculiar thing is that while in sleep paralysis, it is believed that you can not move, I was able to wave at the face and speak to it (my voice was very low and muffled though) and as it gradually disappeared, I felt my soul being "pushed" back into my body and everything was reverted again. I'm not prescribed on any medication, nor did I intake any alcohol, so it was eerie. Is this psychic related in anyway? If it is anyone know why this happened?

It happens with me daily for a while and my mind hust become blank....it this means depression?

Do you meditate, Lilly?

I gave up on meditating because it did nothing for me. And my mind generally refused to cooperate.

I've had sleep paralysis before, it's simply horrible. Heard voices and whispers which were not my own.

You can't even get the words out your mouth to tell whatever it is to go away.

Well...I've heard (And I very well believe it) that sleep paralysis is a state where you can choose to leave your body, astral projection which is probably why you can see the 'hallucinations' which probably aren't hallucinations but the astral world.

I had an experience not long after my cousin from my dad's side died (Wasn't close to him) . I woke up and I couldn't move, that part didn't bother me. What bothered me was that there was a man facing the wall as if he were about to leave but his head was turned, his eyes wide and mouth opened in shock. I instantly thought 'THIEF! ROBBER!' but couldn't move. Then all of a sudden this deep feeling of safety and peace washed over me and my fear vanished and I laid there with this calm beautiful feeling looking at this man I had never seen and he smiled gently, it was so beautiful and tender and I suddenly woke up, rolled on my side and fell asleep again. I thought it may have been a distorted image of my cousin...but no, impossible. Too many differences.

This was about 2 years ago and I was reflecting on stuff recently in my spiritual book that I write in ;). I realized that it was my mother's grandfather who passed away when she was 13 and apparently he was my imaginary friend growing up ;) though I have no recollection of that. Sure enough....the description fit him perfectly. Just thought I'd share to give you some insight.