Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Victoria

Staying in the NOW

I've just read a couple of Eckart Tolle books since he is often talked about in spiritual circles and I was reminded (something I sorely needed) about staying in the present.

It's proving quite a challenge! There are times when I find myself slipping back to the past regrets, times when I have felt affronted or times when I know I could have done better in the moment. I know this is not constructive behaviour so that at least is a plus!

However I don't think the past and the future are totally unworthy of dallying. I mean think about all the wonderful memories we have, and the way we can use visualisation to assist in creating a positive future...

Nevertheless I am going to do my best to let go of dwelling in the past when it serves me no valuable purpose.

What are your thoughts on the power of the present, on (as he puts it) Being rather than Thinking and what techniques do you use to stay in this moment?

steven-harrington-past-present-future.jpg

postersandprints.wordpress.com steven-harrington

Guest Paige

Hi Victoria,

I enjoyed reading your opening post. :)

To be in the present, I tend to think about God and the universe and how there is a plan for me (and for all of us out there). That everything that has happened in the past was part of the plan, and no matter the level of suffering or regret it may have caused, that it all served a purpose -- to be where I (we) are now.

Sometimes I consciously think about how I'm existing and living right now, and everything else seems far away. At this moment, I hear voices, but I'm focusing on my own existence. Everything else becomes secondary and... not so important. Although some part of me is "thinking," I am "being" more than I am thinking. When I am being, I think I am more in tune with my higher self, because I am not so attached to worldly things, or to much of anything.

It isn't always easy though. Sometimes I focus on breathing to calm myself down, or use visualization. Or just talk to myself aloud. Those are some techniques I use to just... be.

It is quite a challenge to stay in the now, I find that having a trigger helps a bit. For example, you choose a colour, object or word, then intend that everytime you hear or see this word or object, you will make an effort to draw yourself back into the present.

There is a lovely quote from Deepak Chopra that goes something like this " When your mind is in the past, you are in the past. When your mind is in the future, you are fragmented. But when your mind is in the present moment, you are in the presence of God and God is present in you"

Great topic!

Guest Angel C

I just wanted to say for now that I find this very challenging, but I think I've improved since I first started, but perhaps not in the way you would imagine.. I'll post more later. :)

Guest Angel C

When I first bought the book and watched Oprahs series on him which was free to download, I was already meditating so the main thing I learned from it was how to look at a tree and not think "this is a tree", to just see the tree and enjoy the tree. Now I find that when I go for a walk I am more likely to switch off my "chatterbox" and just enjoy the walk.

I learned more about the ego too, but mainly about not pushing others buttons, especially in my marriage. I think it is good to have an awareness of how destructive egos can be.

I have to say though that I think it is difficult to live like this in the modern world. Although hundreds of thousands, possibly thousands of thousands have been introduced to spirituality through this particular author, which to me is fantastic.

Just one example of how living this way is difficult, is that there are many of us who have to be "reflective" because of our jobs. Some of us have to do evaluations and have appraisals, so need to regualarly develop. I think its a habbit we can take through to everyday life. I dont think its a bad habbit but I think its important to recognize when we are looking at things, lessons from the past etc in too much of a negative or personal light. Again an awareness of when this is going into overdrive is very important.

Like any spiritual book I've read I've learned something from it. But I dont think any of them are a design for living, neither is any one religion for that matter. I have found that I take what works for me "Now" from each book, religions I have researched or "school of thought" and eventually use what works for me. From this book I think I have learned how to enjoy stillness, how to enjoy the beauty of nature more, and have more of an awareness of my own and others egos and the unconscious triggers which cause disputes between people. Thank you for reminding me of this.

Another thing I want to say here, is that there are a lot of us on here, who do get "glimpses" of the future, in one way or another. But I guess this book all comes back to manifestation, and how raising your vibrations now, will ensure the best possible future for us. Giving up the need to try to control past, present or future, ironically is possibly one of the best ways to ensure a decent future, especially if many people are participating (which they are through this book) but for me personally is a little bit "passive" at this time in our existence if I'm completely honest.

Having said this, I think the affect the book has had on spirituality today is pretty awesome.

But the problem is. How do you know for sure that the past serves no valuable purpose?

Sometimes, I think it is exactly the thought of it that motivates me to find other things in life so I don't think about the past as much. But I don't see it as a bad thing. I mean, maybe the good things won't happen if you don't think of the bad things.

I think my present and future is almost entirely based on what I know of the past. I make my decisions around it, I do things because of what I've experienced, or what I've learned in the past. The only time I forget about the past is when I'm working, when there are so many things in front of me distracting me from thinking of the past.

Those are some techniques I use to just... be.

Thank you Paige, for your insightful contribution.

Breathing definitely works! Lately I have been taking particular notice of my surroundings when walking -- that seems to anchor me. I keep seeing swallows! Beautiful -- I love the way they flit around me when I walk through the nature reserves. :) :wub:

Must go to that animal wisdom site and see what their message is:

swallow.jpg

Swallow's Wisdom Includes

*Closely related to the Thunderbird (paranormal.about.com)

*Power of communal living

*Understands the value of family and home

*Protection

*Agility/ flexibility

*Ability to maneouvre/ new ways of dealing with challenges

*Connection to the arrival of thunderstorms

It is quite a challenge to stay in the now, I find that having a trigger helps a bit. For example, you choose a colour, object or word, then intend that everytime you hear or see this word or object, you will make an effort to draw yourself back into the present.

There is a lovely quote from Deepak Chopra that goes something like this " When your mind is in the past, you are in the past. When your mind is in the future, you are fragmented. But when your mind is in the present moment, you are in the presence of God and God is present in you"

Great topic!

I like that quote, Tarryn... and I will give your technique a try! Thanks. :angel2:

I learned more about the ego too, but mainly about not pushing others buttons, especially in my marriage. I think it is good to have an awareness of how destructive egos can be.

I have to say though that I think it is difficult to live like this in the modern world. Although hundreds of thousands, possibly thousands of thousands have been introduced to spirituality through this particular author, which to me is fantastic.

Another thing I want to say here, is that there are a lot of us on here, who do get "glimpses" of the future, in one way or another. But I guess this book all comes back to manifestation, and how raising your vibrations now, will ensure the best possible future for us. Giving up the need to try to control past, present or future, ironically is possibly one of the best ways to ensure a decent future, especially if many people are participating (which they are through this book) but for me personally is a little bit "passive" at this time in our existence if I'm completely honest.

Having said this, I think the affect the book has had on spirituality today is pretty awesome.

Thank you for your interesting and honest post, Angel C. :angel:

I have to admit that after the hype I was a little disappointed in ET's books for several reasons: plenty of 'this is how you should be' but no techniques for achieving the desired states; too much disparagement of the views of others and too much emphasis on Jesus as the definitive source of spiritual behaviour.

However, I agree with the point you made that if the books reach out and inspire others to explore their spirituality then that is an amazing benefit. :)

But the problem is. How do you know for sure that the past serves no valuable purpose?

Sometimes, I think it is exactly the thought of it that motivates me to find other things in life so I don't think about the past as much. But I don't see it as a bad thing. I mean, maybe the good things won't happen if you don't think of the bad things.

I think my present and future is almost entirely based on what I know of the past. I make my decisions around it, I do things because of what I've experienced, or what I've learned in the past. The only time I forget about the past is when I'm working, when there are so many things in front of me distracting me from thinking of the past.

I agree with your appraisal of the value of the past, taichi. B)

I do maintain that my point of power is in the present, but one way I have learned about how to act effectively in the present is through my study of my past behaviours and their outcomes.

Guest Moopurple

I have a huge problem with staying in the present. I am always trying to figure out what is to come...and I don't like that because then I don't enjoy what I am experiencing now or really pay attention to it. Then life becomes a blur :P I am better at it when I am having fun, but then it seems to pass by so fast. Wah time...

Oh and I definitely have times when I look back on things I've done and just facepalm :P wondering what I was thinking. But honestly, regarding the past even though I think I could have handled things better on retrospect, I don't regret anything. I feel like I am happier when I act on my emotions (not in a completely irrational way of course!) instead of doing what the majority of people would do.

Angel's short mention of ego got my mind floating around that subject. I feel like lately I don't have much of an ego. I apologize for everything even if I had a point to make or when I don't feel I should be the one, or the only one, apologizing. I'm very forgiving and maybe in excess? And that is one thing that I always think back on and question whether it is a lack of self-respect on my part or just what I need to do in order to not have any guilt. It's a psychological cyclone. :P

In conclusion :) I think I definitely need to work on staying in the NOW!

Doesn't one decide that when one makes a mistake, to learn from it and not do it again? Find something good that came of it and learn the lesson? I think God would have to forgive us much more if we didn't.

I know that I shouldn't dwell in the past, especially the bad stuff, unless of course, I plan to use it to make today or tomorrow better.

The future is too fluid to dwell on. It could change at any given moment, depending on what happens in the next minute. There is much to be said for the best laid plans.

SO, what I got out of those books was live each day the best you can. Which I try to do anyway.

Then I doubt and say, he was talking about everyone else but me? Don't be so egotistical! LOL. Couldn't win with those books...

Doesn't one decide that when one makes a mistake, to learn from it and not do it again? Find something good that came of it and learn the lesson? I think God would have to forgive us much more if we didn't.

I know that I shouldn't dwell in the past, especially the bad stuff, unless of course, I plan to use it to make today or tomorrow better.

The future is too fluid to dwell on. It could change at any given moment, depending on what happens in the next minute. There is much to be said for the best laid plans.

SO, what I got out of those books was live each day the best you can. Which I try to do anyway.

Then I doubt and say, he was talking about everyone else but me? Don't be so egotistical! LOL. Couldn't win with those books...

Hahahaha! Not even a minute after I posted the above, I turned around and picked up a book of my grandmothers, as I am deciding what to do with them today. Inside it was a small piece of paper that she had tucked in there. I had no idea it was there, but Gram had a habit of tucking stuff in her books! The title on it was "One Day at a Time". It tells us to take one day with all it has to hold and to deal with all troubles and tribulations as they come. One verse: " Not yesterday's load we are called on to bear, Not the morrow's uncertain and shadowy care; Why should we look forward or back with dismay? Our needs, as our mercies, are but for the day."

The timing was impeccable. Wow.

However I don't think the past and the future are totally unworthy of dallying. I mean think about all the wonderful memories we have, and the way we can use visualisation to assist in creating a positive future...

What are your thoughts on the power of the present, on (as he puts it) Being rather than Thinking and what techniques do you use to stay in this moment?

for me this has been happening, and what i think you mean is when you think about or focus on a perticular space/time, in a sence you are spiritually braught back to it. things have to play out as they did then wich maybe the exact opposite of what it is you are trying to create.

there are certain areas or voids i call them where nothing is suppose to happen that is where the now is within that silent space that hasnt happened, sometimes you have to wait for energy to manifest in away that contributes to what you are creating. sometimes doing anything at a moment can be the worst thing you do.

the more you realize space/time the less you will be in the voids or laspses because naturally you will gravitate to where you are.

When i read the power of now.....I realised that for quite some time i had been living my life like this. But i didn;t really give it much thought..( i guess that is the key...No thought)....I just thought that this was the way in which we were meant to live!......This was the way we were designed......When we are truly consious of what we are doing there is this power....this peace....The sacred is here!.....The energy of life flows through you like an everflowing stream of love and light.....it brings an awareness that we are all truly connected.......connected by the web of life....To be your breath, to be the sounds that you hear...to be the thoughts that you think....when you become aware that all there ever is is now....It becomes a very sacred journey.....You begin to take notice...You hear things that you never did before....You see things you never noticed before.....to become aware of the thoughts that come in and out of you mind......You become that living essence that flows through all things.....you feel it...you are apart of it and it is apart of you.....The power that we all hold is within the NOW!....Life becomes brighter....The more we slow down and become aware of everything around us and that is apart of us, the more we become alligned with life itself....Before we were to busy to see....to hurried to get where we need to go.....to careless with our thoughts and our actions.....when we become alligned with this awesome power, it truly changes how we percieve things....like seeing something for the first time.....It is like we one day just wake up!......Living in the now is what we were born to do.....it is the way in which we were meant to live.......why give worry for tomorrow, when all you have is NOW!......I believe with all my being that this is the key.....The key that will unlock the door to heaven on earth...It will give rise to the opportunity that we can all become saviours to our own lives......the lives that we so desperatly try and escape......the reality is we are not seeiing our lives correctly...we are seeing our lives through a hazy filter.....we need to adjust the screen.......We need to stop...be still...become aware......breath deeply....let go.....stop the chatter...and the worry....be free....walk slowly amongst the field...feel each step that your feet make beneath you...feel your breath.....feel the sun on your skin......hear the sounds around you...you are apart of life...and it is apart of you......You are one....when you close your eyes, you can feel that you are apart af everything....you become the sounds that you hear, you become the sun that shines upon your face, you become the soft grass beneath you feet......we are life......It is my sincere hope that you all feel this wonderful blessing that life has given us and if we beome still enough we all we feel its amazing pressence.......Love and light to you all....Star x :)

My 8 year old son told us today that tomorrow and yesterday are today. It reminded me to really live for right now and to become mindful to do so when I don't. Wow, I thought that such a young boy would have such insight.

Guest Angel C

Sometimes I think they "know" more than us. My daughter told me that when we die we grow wings and go to heaven but can fly around helping people, or something like that when she was about six!!!

I think it is amazing when our children show wisdom beyond their years.....They truly do see more than us at times...I think it is because they don't really have the drama in their lives that we create in ours.....They see what we dont see....and they truly do show us ourselves.....They are our mirrors....if we look closely, we will see our reflections....and not just in a physical form.....They know how to live in the now....it is so easy for them...so natural......they don't need to worry about what happened yesterday and what will happen tomorrow...they know that all we have is now.......Maybe we should all take a leaf out of their books....They truly are blessings to us, in more ways than one.....I see life in their eyes.....amazement, wonder, joy and exitement.....Let us live knowing that we to are like little children....if we open our hearts we will see.......Love to you all....Star x :wub: