Universal Psychic Guild Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dot

Dying in Dreams

Guest Dot

Okay, over my weekend I had a dying dream which practically scared the pants off me... So to speak. It didn't literally scare my pants off me, but I did wake up from the dream fairly quickly. I had never been so reactive of death in a dream before. Normally in a dream when I am mortally wounded, I 'pass out' and it's very relaxing. It's relaxing almost like the state of sleep you're in changes a little, to something less dream-like for a moment. I've passed out before in my waking moments and the relief that comes from losing consciousness is incredible; and it's just like that, except in dreams - it has happened a few times. In those times, I've often welcomed that feeling - I never felt scared because I never felt there was any real threat...

In this dream I was standing in front of a mirror in a bathroom with white tiles. I was looking in the mirror, when I noticed my skin began to pale and I broke out in a cold sweat. My limbs started to become numb, my body started to turn blue, my lips started to tingle, and I felt my consciousness (even if dream consciousness) slipping into something. It could have just been the blackness of unconsciousness (more unconscious, anyway) but I felt sure in those moments that if I let the dream continue that I would die in real life as well as the dream. It was very sudden and unexpected. I was quite fearful at the time, and the thought that I might die from it obviously woke me up. It was also weird because as the feelings of numbness and blackness became stronger, it looked like my face was stretched over my ... face... for some reason. It was becoming a bit swollen. It was almost like I was having some sort of fatal anaphylactic reaction.

I was just thinking that it is probably possible for somebody to die in their sleep due to a dream because of how the nervous system wavers over altered states and aspects of control (like in lucid dreaming). Maybe if someone willed hard enough, maybe they could end up killing themselves, even if unconsciously and involuntarily. Though, of course, you'd have to get over a biological urge that says "Don't die, stupid!" but theoretically, it might be possible.

Just wondering what you all thought. Was I overreacting? Was it not going to kill me after all? Sometimes dreams feel so real, y'know? And then sometimes they linger even after you've woken up.

Guest Moopurple

I don't think one can kill themselves in a dream. I have experienced something similar to what you have, where I was dying in a dream and I thought it meant I would die in real life, but when you awake nothing is different about you except for maybe you're startled. Then again, I don't think I did let myself die in the dream. I don't think anyone does. As soon as you hit that point you wake up because it is comprehensible to know what death is like while living.

I think that you should figure out if you have sleep apnea though because often times that can be related to those types of feelings. Or like when I am sleeping with my face in the pillow and I have to force myself to wake up so I can breathe again. It could have been something like that?

I know how real dreams seem. I have shared before how often my dreams reflect reality that has happened or that will happened, but it is in an interpretational way so it isn't completely accurate. It just gives me a main idea of what to look out for or what I am fearing. Does that make sense? Like I will feel the effects of a dream all day even if it was completely false and unrealistic. Reality and dreams can be so easily confused. At least for me.

Guest Dot

Maybe you're right.

I don't know about the sleep apnea though. I was sleeping on my back at the time. Hmm... I don't remember any numbness when I woke. Though once I had a dream where I was attacking something or being attacked (can't remember which) and my arms were injured and my arms were sore even after I woke, even though I hadn't hit anything or anything like that.

Thanks for the reply, Moo. :)

I don't believe you can die by dieing in your dream.

It's hard to not feel a sense of fear, sometimes thats the intention of the dream if there is a message behind it. I still get a little shaken up by dieing in my dreams but it really depends on what missing person is visiting me. If they were feeling fear, I feel their fear....

I had a dream where I got shot once, it felt good afterwards because I felt total peace for about 10 seconds or so before I woke up :woofpup:

I die a lot in my dreams, and here I am! I don't think you're in any real danger unless you sleep walk (which I do, but not like most people do).

It can be a terrifying experience, I know that much!

I don't really die in my dreams but sometimes I am bitten, eaten alive, shot, stabbed or just wounded very badly and sometimes when I wake up I can still feel that pain.

I also believe it is possible to die in your dream in which you die in your sleep, its just that no one would have evidence of it happening because they're dead.

When I die in dreams I usually just wake up with a fright.

WoooohhhhA!!! I have never died in a dream....that I remember!!! I have had conflict with trying to survive like the two bears last night....that could try to open the door that I held VERY VERY tightly closed to keep me safe from harm....or even ...bear food!

But...I just dont remember ever really dying in my dream....falling yes! Flying away from danger yes....escaping near death experiences with, snakes, panthers, lions, (bears....first for bears the other night.) As far as I am aware I always triumph over these!!!

Anyway....wish I had an angle....other than you are in the body of another in possible danger....maybe there is someone in more inner turmoil reaching out subconsciously than you are aware of at present???

Try to notice those you deal with from day to day....see if there is anyone not behaving in their normal state these days???

Good Luck for what unfolds..:)

Neleh.

there could be a few possibilities ...

1] There is a large part of yourself that you are suffocating because you wish to avoid it. Are there qualities in yourself that you are becoming aware of that you wish wasn't part of who you are?

2] There are entities out there that are inorganic. They visit us when we have our guard down, such as when we are asleep. You can tell if you are having an invaded dream by how vivid and 'real' it feels. It's not like a normal dream that doesn't have much feel to it at all. (if this, ask more about it)

3] It's neither of these and you can clear the energy from the dream away from you and go on with the day.

Okay, over my weekend I had a dying dream which practically scared the pants off me... So to speak. It didn't literally scare my pants off me, but I did wake up from the dream fairly quickly. I had never been so reactive of death in a dream before. Normally in a dream when I am mortally wounded, I 'pass out' and it's very relaxing. It's relaxing almost like the state of sleep you're in changes a little, to something less dream-like for a moment. I've passed out before in my waking moments and the relief that comes from losing consciousness is incredible; and it's just like that, except in dreams - it has happened a few times. In those times, I've often welcomed that feeling - I never felt scared because I never felt there was any real threat...

In this dream I was standing in front of a mirror in a bathroom with white tiles. I was looking in the mirror, when I noticed my skin began to pale and I broke out in a cold sweat. My limbs started to become numb, my body started to turn blue, my lips started to tingle, and I felt my consciousness (even if dream consciousness) slipping into something. It could have just been the blackness of unconsciousness (more unconscious, anyway) but I felt sure in those moments that if I let the dream continue that I would die in real life as well as the dream. It was very sudden and unexpected. I was quite fearful at the time, and the thought that I might die from it obviously woke me up. It was also weird because as the feelings of numbness and blackness became stronger, it looked like my face was stretched over my ... face... for some reason. It was becoming a bit swollen. It was almost like I was having some sort of fatal anaphylactic reaction.

I was just thinking that it is probably possible for somebody to die in their sleep due to a dream because of how the nervous system wavers over altered states and aspects of control (like in lucid dreaming). Maybe if someone willed hard enough, maybe they could end up killing themselves, even if unconsciously and involuntarily. Though, of course, you'd have to get over a biological urge that says "Don't die, stupid!" but theoretically, it might be possible.

Just wondering what you all thought. Was I overreacting? Was it not going to kill me after all? Sometimes dreams feel so real, y'know? And then sometimes they linger even after you've woken up.