Universal Psychic Guild Forum

Hi there everyone :D

I am a newbie (at all of this)

I am not psychic (that I know of), but new to discovering and exploring my spiritual side (without the "regulations and rules" of religion). I actively started doubting/rebelling against my Christian upbringing probably 3yrs ago, although I have always found it really hard to truly embrace it all. I had faith out of fear. Fear of burning in hell for every sin. Scared out of my wit that if I did not believe, and do as I was taught, I am condemned to an eternity of suffering. I had horrific nightmares of the apocalypse as a teenager..

Eventually I just could not swallow and blindly believe everything I was told.. I also refuse to raise my children with this kind of fear!

I got some wonderful direction from an aunt, and opened my mind and heart to new possibilities :) She suggested books, but most was written in the 1970's and earlier, and you are lucky if you can get them 2nd hand from the States, definitely not on ebook! I have gotten a few other's from searching the game genre, which has been very insightful!

After 2 years, and a big rollercoaster ride (immigration, beautiful "surprise" baby, settling a new family in the big unknown - with no support whatsoever) I have finally come to a point where I have a bit of time for "me" and I cannot ignore my need/desire to know more, learn more, experience more.

I have read quite a few books and googled a lot :lol:

Everything I read/learn is really HUGE for me as I am met with such inner conviction! This all the result of my upbringing..

I would really appreciate some direction/advice on how to broaden my very limited knowledge and move forward to get to know the real me, and my purpose. How to truly be happy (in myself), as this will project to others..

That's me in a nutshell, thank you for reading (if you got this far :lol: )

Hello and welcome,

Congratulations on your venture into opening your mind and heart to new ideas. I was brought up in a Christian family but they never taught me to fear god or tried to push any belief on me. As an adult I did join my church and I do feel I have a very good relationship with god but I am not the A typical Christian. I actually considered my self an agnostic most of my life and just joined my childhood church in the last 2 years. I attend an Episcopal church though and they tend to be a very open minded denomination who encourages questions and reason.

However, I do know several people who's Christian upbringing taught them to believe out of fear. It breaks my heart to see that. I know it can be very hard for someone to overcome that kind of teaching. I commend you on your bravery and I am sure you will find happiness in your new life. This is a great forum and you will be able to meet and talk to people who have many different perspectives to observe and learn from. smile.gif

Hi there everyone :D

I am a newbie (at all of this)

Welcome to the forum. I think you've found the right place! :angel:

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

RoseBaby - the first church I attended (as a child and teenager) was extremely reserved.. I was in my final dedication year and had to stand up in front of the congregation and swear an oath. I disagreed with it so strongly that I ended up convincing my mom to change churches. From there we attended an AFM church which is better - not so reserved. BUT still.. They believe that you can only get to God through Jesus (if not you will go to hell), you have to be baptised as an adult, you HAVE to tithe (else you are stealing God's money) etc etc.. We were friends with the pastors' and they are amazing people. I just could not blindly follow/believe their interpretation of what was right anymore..

Some of that which I was told makes sense, basic principals that I can relate to. But there is more that I don't agree with - hence my reluctance to associate :)

Helloooo, it was so nice to read about you! I found it very inspiring and can see you've come a long way!!!

Hope you find what you're looking for here :)

Helloooo, it was so nice to read about you! I found it very inspiring and can see you've come a long way!!!

Hope you find what you're looking for here :)

Wow - thank you so much for that! Really appreciate it!

Welcome Possibilities! :D

I hope you find your spiritual path, it seems that you're about to reach it.

An interesting book that I've rediscovered is called The Psychic Pathway by Sonia Choquette. It's a workbook that helps you get in touch with your intuition and as the book claims "A Workbook for Reawakening the Voice of Your Soul." It does go through a series of questions to ask yourself including some aspects in your spiritual upbringing that may have impeded your journey. I'm finding it insightful and thought it may be of relevance to you.

Rosebaby, I too am Episcopalian I don't know many of that religion/sect(?). I don't know much about it but I do appreciate it. Another church which might be of interest is Unity Church. I've read a book a long time ago called Lessons in Truth by Emile Cady, I think, and it's based on the idea that God is within all of us and not to fear. I felt much closer and loved by God than I was previous. I do still consider myself agnostic but I am open minded and appreciate the idea of community that it brings.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy your time here and find what you're looking for. :)

Welcome Possibilities! :D

I hope you find your spiritual path, it seems that you're about to reach it.

An interesting book that I've rediscovered is called The Psychic Pathway by Sonia Choquette. It's a workbook that helps you get in touch with your intuition and as the book claims "A Workbook for Reawakening the Voice of Your Soul." It does go through a series of questions to ask yourself including some aspects in your spiritual upbringing that may have impeded your journey. I'm finding it insightful and thought it may be of relevance to you.

Rosebaby, I too am Episcopalian I don't know many of that religion/sect(?). I don't know much about it but I do appreciate it. Another church which might be of interest is Unity Church. I've read a book a long time ago called Lessons in Truth by Emile Cady, I think, and it's based on the idea that God is within all of us and not to fear. I felt much closer and loved by God than I was previous. I do still consider myself agnostic but I am open minded and appreciate the idea of community that it brings.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy your time here and find what you're looking for. :)

Thank you so much for the info! I have searched for the workbook and will be ordering it next week! I have downloaded Lessons in Truth and will start reading soon!

I really appreciate the guidance! Knowledge is power, and since I actively started exploring different views etc, I have felt much calmer and not so "detached".. Onwards and upward! :)

I never knew what Agnostic means/is, had to google it :lol: I do like the meaning!!