The Full Moon Tarot Release spread is a powerful and magical spread for anyone who wishes to work with the Lunar Cycles energy to manifest or release important energies in their life. Using the Moon is an ancient and very sure-fire way to bring the energies we need into our lives. This is, in essence, a kind of spell work, a magic that we can harness in our everyday lives.
Three day prior or three days after the Full Moon is the best time to do this reading, as this is when the Moon’s magic is at her most potent. We can use this intention setting to positively and proactively shift the course of how we want things to go for ourselves. This is not black, or dark magic, this is magic that is light and helpful – we should use it for the greatest good of ourselves and for others. We can use Moon magic for our relationships, our career and our personal lives.
Looking for a FREE Full Moon Tarot Reading?
Visit one of our recommended sites below to claim you first FREE minutes and Speak with a Real Tarot Reader:
All Psychics are:
- Expertly Reviewed,
- Available 24/7,
- Mobile Friendly
- Visit Site
There are Eight Phases of the Moon, and each Phase represents the part of the cycle in which we can manifest things. We use the Moon’s journey as a way to watch our visions come to life, and we start to then actively create what we desire.
These Eight Phases are Karmic in nature and are a bit like a seed – when we plant the Seed, which represents the New Moon phase, we are no always sure how it is going to grow – perhaps we know the type of seed it is, but not how much fruit it will bear, or the quality, how tall it will be and so on. Hence, New Moon is a time of possibility and of beginnings.
Slowly, that seed begins to grow, through the crisis of the Crescent Phase, the Action of the First Quarter phase, and the Anticipation of the Gibbous Phase, until it reaches the Full Phase, which is the one we are working within this reading. This is when we see the fruition of the seed and all it ever will be, and hence indicates a time of release and letting go, as the Moon then begins waning and decreasing in light, and eventually goes to the Dark Moon, where there is a gestation period before the New Moon begins once again.
Tuning into these cycles more and more becomes a wonderful way to live life in a full state of flow, and doing a reading to support ourselves over this time and bring the unconscious to awareness is extremely useful.
Below are the last four phases of the Moon (take a look at our New Moon Tarot Reading Article to understand the first four phases of manifestation):
- Full Moon: The is the time of fruition, of seeing whatever we have planted coming to life, and accepting it, for better or for worse. This is a time that we will feel emotional, ready to let go and slow down from this point onwards, there is no more building to do. It is a powerfully energetic period where we make important decisions.
- Disseminating: The time a time where we share the fruits of the harvest of the Full Moon, where we begin to collaborate and share our knowledge with others, where we can begin to communicate the messages we have learned from the Full Moon period. .
- Third Quarter: like the First Quarter, this Moon period has the quality of action to it, but the action is internally directed rather than external, and there can be an inner reorientation within ourselves.
- Balsamic Moon: this Dark Moon period is where the gestation happens; where we release and let go to make space for the New Moon that is to come. There can be an exodus at this time, and we have to try our very best to let go rather than hold on. This can be a very deep and introspective moon period and we are advised to go quietly within ourselves over this Moon Phase.
The New Moon follows after these four stages, at which time we can set a new intention to bring in what we want – Full Moon is NOT the time to ask for something new- that is VERY important to remember! A word of caution – this kind of Magic is VERY powerful and so we have to be very careful what we wish for! Energy is always heightened during this time, which is why we also do not do readings over any of the eclipses, Solar or Lunar as the energy can get out of control and we can stumble even with the best of intentions.
How the New Moon Magic Tarot Spread Works
This six-card spread should be arranged in a downward arcing shape (like an upside-down rainbow) to represent the Moon’s waning.
The first card shows the Full Moon energy in general and is the starting point. The next card is What you need to Release, then a card to show you HOW to release, and then the card that shows what Obstacles stand in your way. The card after that talks about what Intention you can invite in during the next New Moon, and the last card is your Overall Guidance.
It can be extremely useful to know the Moon’s Astrology sign to work even more consciously with the current energies, and of course, if it is an Eclipse, we advise to not work with the Moon at all, as the energies are somewhat dangerous, being so heightened. During an Eclipse, try to avoid all kinds of spellwork and magic, unless you are being guided by someone with a great deal more experience than you.
Preparation & Top Tips
Preparation for this reading is quite important, especially if you want to get into the right space for setting your intention clearly. This reading is also a little different from other readings, as it’s less about the question and more about what you need to release. Hence, there are a few points to remember as you prepare to do the reading and during the reading itself :
- Take some time to really think about what you want to let go of, or release in your life, before you even do the spread. Perhaps it could be external, such as a relationship that you want to develop, or maybe you wish to leave your career and star something new. Your intention might be internal or focussed on self-development, such as wanting to release some bad habits and destructive patterns of behaviour, or perhaps you need to release toxic health or other issues. The sky’s the limit here but make sure your Release is well thought out, and we advise making a little list or writing things down on paper very clearly: for example, you might want the love relationship to let go of, but you might not fully be prepared to commit yourself, so think carefully before you manifest this magic.
- Set up a lovely space and even think about doing this reading on your altar, if you have one. Then you can leave the cards there for the next two weeks to check up on and remind yourself about what they could mean and how they are unfolding.
- It is of course advised to do this during a Full Moon, or three days before or after as it gathers much more energy over this time and the chances of your Releasing being fulfilled are much higher.
- Light a few candles, burn some incense and create a peaceful, calm space.
- Keep a journal nearby to record your reading in.
- If possible, with every Full Moon, try and keep the same intention of whatever you want to release until it is fulfilled, as this kind of focus over an extended period of time is very powerful.
- Pick a deck, that, if possible, has a lovely intuitive feel to it to match the Moon’s energy.
- Ask for guidance, if you need it, from your higher self, your angels or the Gods or Goddesses you believe in.
- Shuffle the cards however you like, then cut them into three decks. Either fan the cards out and pick them out one by one or simply choose from the top. Lay them all face down in the beginning, as you will turn them over one by one.
Interpreting the Spread, Card by Card
Card Number One: This Full Moon energy
This card represents the general energy of this Full Moon, and along with the Astrological sign of the Moon, can be used as a general guideline for the work that you are about to do. It should be read quite objectively, not necessarily in line with YOUR desires to release, and can simply serve as a support. If the card is more negative, then we can see that this current Full Moon is more difficult, and we can be more aware of the energies that are floating around. Certainly keep an eye out for any Major Arcana that may be popping up here as they indicate powerful energies at play.
Card Number Two: What I need to Release and Let Go
This is probably the most important part of the reading because it essentially shows what you need to let go of. Perhaps this card seems very much out of line with what you wrote down in your preparation, but take some time to really study the card and see how it can link to your intention. It might show a bit of a deeper layer to the issue at hand, the REAL thing that you may need to let go of before you can let go of the rest. You may need to release someone you thought as a soulmate or a friend who has been toxic for you.
Card Number Three: How to Release and Let Go Once we know what we have to let go of, we need to know HOW to do it – this is often the hardest part of the whole process. This card can show us how we need to begin the process, and even if it a negative card – let’s say, the Five of Cups which shows a person crying over the cups that have fallen, but has not yet turned around to see what is awaiting them- in this case, we need to look at the positive. We need to study the card for the encouraging message that will help us release.
Card Number Four: What Obstacles stand in my way
This card shows what potential problems might stand in the way of releasing this intention, and could either be easily worked through or take a bit longer, if we are releasing something very powerful, then we may need to be aware that this could take some time, and be prepared for these obstacles to come our way. Even if the card here is positive, it should be read as a challenge. For example, if we have the Ten of Cups here, perhaps our family desires stand in the way of our desire to release whatever it is we need to let go of.
Card Number Five: What can be invited in at the New Moon
This card should be used as a bit of guidance in two weeks’ time at the New Moon, where we can begin to invite in something to take the place of what has been let go of and released. It can show perhaps what may “fill the space” and what new things can come into our lives after the necessary cleansing process has taken place.
Card Number Six: Overall guidance to learn over this Full Moon
This card wraps up the entire reading, and tells us what we need to keep in mind as we move forward purposefully with our intention of release and letting go. The card will show us something we must learn over this period, whether it is an easier or a more difficult card. Of course, if the card is more gentle, then the guidance is easier in many ways.
Pros and Cons of a Full Moon Tarot Reading
- Working with Moon energy is very powerful indeed, and doing a reading over this time can speed up the releasing and manifestation process.
- This reading can offer a bit of a different angle to what begins as a simple intention to let go and gives it a bit more depth and insight into what it is you really need to let go of – and you had best be prepared!
- Using the Moon is ancient and extremely powerful – whatever you ask for with pure intention is very likely to be granted.
- This reading can be difficult to do if one is expecting a “perfect” match of what you want to release to the What To Release Card – one has to be quite open-minded and creative and see how you can fit these two together harmoniously as it may not always be obvious at first.
- This reading can only be done once a month with the Full Moon, as it loses its power otherwise, so those who are impatient can be tested with the waiting!
Where can I get an Accurate Tarot or Psychic Reading online?
Once you have done your Full Moon reading, you might feel like a bit of extra clarity, so who better to turn to than some excellent online advisors who can shed a little more light and guidance your way?
Here is a list of four excellent Psychic Sites and their fantastic first-time offers for newcomers to this wonderful world.
Oranum has a special group of advisors especially suited to rituals and energies, who can help you specifically navigate your Full Moon intention – and they offer 9.99 credits FREE!
Keen is a friendly, accessible website whose tagline is “It’s Time to Ignite your Passions” – and they have a fabulous first timer offer of $1.99 for ten minutes, and with their excellent credentials, what’s not to like?
Kasamaba is a lovely, approachable psychic website – you will get 3 Free Minutes with a Psychic when you sign up and when you get a detailed reading, you can enjoy 50% off for the rest of your session.