- Launched: 2013
- Email readings
- SMS readings
- Phone readings
Pros and Cons
- communicate with your counselor whenever you’d like, 24/7
- exchange messages in a private room
- also can chat live via IM, phone or video conferencing
- can remain completely anonymous if you'd like
- over 2200 licensed, trained, experienced and accredited psychologists, therapists & counselors
- unlimited access for $65/week
- access to counselors from all areas of expertise
- have an easy questionaire to pair you with the right counselor for you
- 25,000+ positive testimonials and reviews
- all together they've done 31 million sessions, and counting!
- cannot get medication prescribed through from your online counselor
- they don't take insurance
- can feel overwhelming to find the right counselor for you- use the questionaire
- very pricey compared to psychic sites
BetterHelp Counseling Review: Does online therapy really work?
People seek out help when they’re experiencing problems or facing some of life’s challenges. There are many different options to consider for getting mental and emotional help, but as we know, going online can be one of the most convenient, affordable and easiest ways to access that help. So this is where the BetterHelp Counseling team comes in.
We’ve talked all about the different online psychic sites that you can turn to when you need some guidance from a more spiritual realm or insight into your past or predictions about your future.
But, if you’re seeking more concrete, down to earth, practical guidance for your everyday life, then you might be better suited to seek out a therapist or licensed counselor.
So today we’re looking at one of the most well-known online counseling platforms, BetterHelp. We aim to help you determine if they could be the right spot for you to turn when you need to gain perspective around your problems.
But wait, does online therapy even really work?
What is BetterHelp?
- Founded in 2013, BetterHelp is one of the largest online counseling platforms available today.
- They have 2200+ licensed, trained professional counselors available to work with.
- They serve a worldwide audience making professional counseling available to anyone, anywhere, anytime.
- Their counselors have done over 31million online sessions, all combined!
- They’ve received 25,000+ honest testimonials from people whose lives they’ve changed.
- 98% of users say their counseling has helped them make significant progress in their lives.
- You can receive counseling via a computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Communicate via instant message, chat live, speak on the phone or even do video conferencing.
How do I know if BetterHelp Counseling is right for me?
If you’re looking to improve the quality of your life in any area really, a licensed and professional counselor can really help.
They can widen your perspective and help you shift your mindset. They can help you see around the obstacles that are on your path to find practical, active ways around them.
There are many reasons why you might want to choose a counselor, over a psychic. For instance, especially if you need specific medical advice or diagnosis.
They can also help you with more practical areas of your life. They could be better if you have a more long-standing issue or dilemma you haven’t been able to work around yourself.
A psychic site though, like Keen or Kasamba, can be a better choice for you in different circumstances.
If you’re curious about the future or what’s up ahead for you in your life, a professional psychic would be able to offer predictive readings and help you choose a course of action to create the future you want.
You can also talk about more spiritual and esoteric questions with a psychic than you might be able to with a therapist.
Psychics are also really receptive to your energy and they read between the lines to get a sense of the situation more than just your mouth can say. There is a deeper level and dimension to a psychic reading that can be attained, really connecting with your soul’s inner guidance and desires.
Whereas a counseling session is still someone else’s opinion about your life, a psychic reading is getting to hear your own deeper knowledge and innate wisdom voiced through someone else.
It’s soul a level experience, whereas therapy is more of an ego level one, but they both have their benefits and can actually work well in tandem with one another!
Seeing a psychic and a counselor can both give you a more well-rounded choice of solutions on how to move around your current struggles.
Also, the BetterHelp Counseling site specifically states they are NOT the right solution for you if:
- You have thoughts of hurting yourself or others
- You’re a minor or you are under the care of a legal guardian
- You’re in an urgent crisis or an emergency situation
- You’ve been diagnosed with a severe mental illness, or if you have been advised to be in psychological supervision or psychiatric care
- You were required to undergo therapy or counseling either by a court order or by any other authority
- You do not have a device that can connect to the Internet or you do not have a reliable Internet connection.
Who are the BetterHelp counselors?
BetterHelp counselors are all licensed, trained, experienced and accredited psychologists (Ph.D. / PsyD), marriage and family therapists (LMFT), clinical social workers (LCSW / LMSW), or licensed professional counselors (LPC)
- All of them have a Master’s or Doctorate degree in their field.
- They are qualified and certified by their state’s professional board by completing all necessary exams, training, and practice.
- They have at least 3 years and 2000 hours of hands-on experience with clients.
- The counselors come from a wealth of different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
- You can peruse through the counselor directory to search through the 2200+ counselor profiles.
How do I choose the right BetterHelp Counselor for me?
There are so many wonderful counselors to choose from at BetterHelp Counseling, that the hardest part might be narrowing down which one to go to.
You can scroll through the counselor directory and peruse the faces and see which counselor calls out to you that way. Click their photo to view their profile and learn more about them.
You’ll see a few profiles are picked out and spotlighted on the main page- those could be good ones to start with. Or just choose a face that appeals to you and see what you can learn in their profiles.
On their individual profile pages, you’ll find:
- Their background experience and biography
- Their specialties
- Years of experience
- The formats the offer readings in (chat, video, phone or IM)
- Their professional license number
- Reviews from real site users
This information can help you get a better sense of whether or not that counselor can suit your needs, and provide you with the help you need.
There’s no way, that we found, to easily narrow down your search though. And scrolling through over 2200+ different profiles is a sure way to get overwhelmed before you even get started.
The best way to get paired with a BetterHelp counselor is through using their tool to help pair you with the right counselor for you.
They have a special questionnaire where you’ll spend about 15 minutes answering some simple questions.
Within 24 hours or so, you’ll be matched with a counselor from their database who specializes in helping people with your specific problems find solutions.
What can the BetterHelp Counseling team help me with?
The licensed and accredited counselors, therapists, and psychologists at BetterHelp Counseling can offer guidance on a range of personal life issues, such as:
- Relationship difficulties
- LGBT matters
- Family conflicts
- Crisis management
- Veteran’s issues
- Personality disorders
- Pregnancy/infertility issues
- Maternal mental health
- Eating disorders
- And more
Anything that you’re struggling with in life, you can find a helpful and professional counselor at BetterHelp to offer some guidance.
Their counselors have a range of specialties and types of therapy offered, including:
Anything that interferes with your happiness, or ability to achieve your goals in life is a topic for discussion and healing through therapy and something that you can certainly find a BetterHelp counselor to guide you in.
How does a session with BetterHelp Counseling work?
Once you get paired with the right BetterHelp Counseling counselor for you, you can communicate with them in a few different ways. You can:
- Exchange messages with your counselor
- Chat live with your counselor
- Speak over the phone with your counselor
- Video conference with your counselor
You can choose any of the above at any time, depending on your time, your needs, and your own personal convenience.
That’s one way that online counseling really differs and can be more beneficial than traditional in-person talk therapy, as there are a much wider range and more availability to be able to get in touch with your counselor anytime you need to.
After you’re matched with a counselor, you can:
Chat via IM
Chat on the phone
Chat via video
Is BetterHelp Counseling better than talk therapy in person?
According to BetterHelp Counseling users themselves, 98% of them said they made significant progress through their sessions with their online counselors. We’re sure this meets or exceeds the satisfaction people feel about making progress through traditional talk therapy.
94% of users actually say they prefer BetterHelp Counseling over face-to-face therapy, having experienced both. We believe there are benefits to each way of doing it, but online therapy certainly has a lot of pros, including a low price, that make it appealing over face-to-face sessions.
70% of BetterHelp users experienced reduced depression symptoms through their counseling sessions. As one of the most predominant ailments people are faced with today, we believe that’s really good odds in determining how BetterHelp Counseling could potentially help you.
There are some definite advantages BetterHelp Counseling has over in-person therapy:
- ultimate convenience to be able to communicate whenever you’d like, 24/7
- ease of being able to chat with your counselor via text, phone or video
- a private “room” dedicated to you and your counselor where you can see all past communication and keep a log
- discreet and ultimate protection of privacy- you can remain completely anonymous if you’d like
- the cost is low, compared to in-person therapy sessions which can cost upwards of $100/session for a good counselor
- if you don’t like/vibe with the counselor you’re matched with, you can get in touch with their customer service to be paired with a different one
- you have access to counselors from all areas of expertise, many of which may not be available in your local area
There are some reasons why in-person therapy might be better for you though, such as:
- if you need an official medical diagnosis and medication prescribed – BetterHelp counselors cannot prescribe medication to online clients
- if you’re lucky enough to have insurance that will cover your therapy, you will have to go to a local therapist to take advantage as BetterHelp Counseling cannot accept insurance
Is BetterHelp Counseling better than getting an online psychic reading?
We can’t say that BetterHelp is better than getting an online psychic reading, but it isn’t worse either. They are both beneficial and valuable for different reasons.
What are your goals?
A BetterHelp counselor may be better suited to help you with specific problems you need help addressing- anxiety, depression, grief, etc. The things you consciously know are hindering you in your life, that are always on your mind, and you’re ready to move through them but need support. That’s when BetterHelp Counseling can be really valuable for you.
When you have perhaps tried therapy and other traditional methods of healing, or when you don’t feel conformable with therapy or like the idea of it, a psychic can be another form of counseling that you can turn to.
A psychic will be able to read more into the subconscious factors that you aren’t aware of yet that could be hindering you. They can glimpse into the future, into the past, into other people’s emotions and intentions… They can provide a range of services that aren’t available from therapists that can help you in emotional and energetic ways.
Both are beneficial, in different ways
In essence, counselors and psychics both can play important and valuable roles in your life, to guide you mentally, spiritually, emotionally and mentally to find overall wellness.
Psychics and therapists both are there to listen to you and create a safe space for you to feel heard, to express yourself, and gain guidance and support.
If you’re living a life that doesn’t feel quite so fulfilling and you’re not sure what you’re missing, either a BetterHelp counselor or a psychic from a reputable site like Keen or Psychic Source, would be a great place to turn to for support.
Go with where you feel intuitively guided. Try one and then the other. Try both and see what works best for you! Only you know how you learn best, how you receive information best and the changes you want to make in your life.
Trust yourself to know, depending on the situation and circumstances you’re in, whether a psychic or therapist might be best to turn to, or whether you could use both!
Consider your Spending
Also, if price is a concern, think about how much guidance and support you need from your counselor or psychic advisor.
$65/week to start with BetterHelp Counseling is inexpensive for the therapy model, but compared to $1/minute if you just need some quick advice, it’s really pricey! A psychic reading is a great place to start for advice if you’re really concerned about budget.
However, if you feel you’ll need continuing, ongoing advice, multiple psychic readings in a week, or month, might add up to a similar amount…
So weigh your personal goals, options, money, time and desires to determine if a licensed counselor from BetterHelp, or professional psychic advisor from Keen or a reputable online psychic site, would be the best for you at this time.
So what’s the verdict? Is BetterHelp Counseling the real deal for online therapy?
We can say with all confidence that BetterHelp Counseling is most certainly the real deal when it comes to receiving qualified, licensed therapy online.
Their counselors are licensed, trained, experienced and accredited psychologists (PhD / PsyD), marriage and family therapists (LMFT), clinical social workers (LCSW / LMSW), or licensed professional counselors (LPC). They all have Master’s degrees in their fields and are experienced professionals!
Most counselors join with BetterHelp to expand their own personal, face-to-face therapy businesses, as more people are going online to find support due to its ease and ability to fit into any lifestyle, anytime.
We believe the quality of support you receive from BetterHelp Counseling meets or even exceeds that which you’ll find from regular in-person talk therapy.
The added value of being able to communicate anytime you need it- including in the throes of the unwanted emotions – allows for a deeper and more targeted support for your problems, as they come up.
It’s invaluable to be able to have someone by your side, that you can confide in, anytime you need it, especially a professional, licensed, skilled and compassionate counselor like those at BetterHelp.
If you can afford the $65/week, we are certain you will find a skilled and professional counselor who is perfect to help with any struggle you’re having, at BetterHelp.
Get Help with BetterHelp today!
All Psychics are:
- Expertly Reviewed,
- Available 24/7,
- Mobile Friendly